Talbot Village is located on the boundary of Bournemouth and Poole in Dorset, England.
The old Talbot Village was built between 1850 and 1862 because of the generosity of two sisters, Georgina and Mary Talbot. Georgina and Mary divided their year between Surrey and Hinton Wood House on the East Cliff of Bournemouth with their family and it was while living in Bournemouth that the sisters discovered the many poor who were suffering in the region.
Between them, they sought to employ the poor to clear the land to build cottages — these were completed between 1850 and 1862. The workers were allowed to stay in the cottages and slowly, Talbot Village began to develop.
The original cottages were built on an acre plot and each had a well, animal pens and fruit trees. The residents were charged a rent of between 4 and 5 shillings per week. Georgina Talbot then had 7 almshouses built for the elderly and widowed.
The school was built for the village in 1862 and held 68 children. It has since been extended over the years and in 1992 an extension increased the school's capacity to 460 children.
Other articles related to "talbot village, village, talbot":
... most of the buildings and several monuments in the village were listed as being of historic interest by the Department of the Environment ... In 1975 the Bournemouth Council designated the village as a conservation area, covering the school, church, almshouses, cottages and the surrounding plantation, known as 'Alb ... the village is also administered by the Talbot Village Trust — which was set up by the Georgina Talbot ...
Famous quotes containing the word village:
“Every day or two I strolled to the village to hear some of the gossip which is incessantly going on there, circulating either from mouth to mouth, or from newspaper to newspaper, and which, taken in homoeopathic doses, was really as refreshing in its way as the rustle of leaves and the peeping of frogs.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)