Swimming At The 2007 World Aquatics Championships
The Swimming competition at the 12th FINA World Championships was held in Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne, Australia, from 25 March to 1 April 2007. This portion of the 2007 Worlds featured 40 events (20 for males, 20 for females), all swum in a long course (50m) pool:
- freestyle: 50m, 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m and 1500m;
- backstroke: 50m, 100m and 200m;
- breaststroke: 50m, 100m and 200m;
- butterfly: 50m, 100m and 200m;
- individual medley (I.M.): 200m and 400m; and
- relays: 4x100m free, 4x200m free, and 4x100m medley.
The 2007 World Championships served in qualifying for the Swimming portion at the 2008 Olympics in two ways:
- 1) It was the main relay qualifier, with the top-12 finishers in each relay automatically qualifying for the 16-entry field at the 2008 Olympics (the other 4 teams were filled with the 4 fastest remaining nations).
- 2) Those nations who did not have swimmers who meet the Olympic qualifying times, and wanted a "wildcard" entry into the Olympics, need to have their potential swimmers swim at the 2007 Worlds.