Sterling Park District Parks
Douglas Park was developed in 1955 when Cellular Concrete Contractors donated 2 acres (8,100 m2) of property for a park in the Douglas Park Subdivision. Douglas Park is located at Chestnut Avenue and Lynn Boulevard.
Eberley Park sits on 25 acres (100,000 m2) of wooded land. It officially opened a 1.5-mile (2.4 km) course in 1978 and is a popular place for joggers and walkers to go. Eberley Park is located at Douglas Drive and West LeFevre Road.
The Gartner Park Baseball Complex was developed in 1961 and included 7 regulation baseball diamonds and a playground area. Since then, there has been renovation on the diamonds to include press boxes, lights and field improvements. Gartner Park is located on West LeFevre Road.
Harry Kidd Field was acquired through an Open Space Land & Water Grant in 1976. It is used by Sterling Jr. Tackle as their Home field for the 5th-8th grade tackle program. Harry Kidd Field is located at West 7th Street and Woodburn Avenue.
The Hoover Park property was purchased from Edward Hoover in 1941 as an extension of Sinnissippi Park. The two parks are connected via the S.M.A.R.T. trail system. Hoover Park is located at 37th Avenue and Woodlawn Road.
Kilgour Park was purchased in 1935. This 12-acre (49,000 m2) park was once the site of Civil War Colonel William M. Kilgour's own personal farm. The site is now known for the Imagination Station play area and basketball and tennis courts. Kilgour Park is located at West LeFevre Road and Avenue F.
Lawrence Park was acquired in 1925. It is considered the first park of Sterling, and was named for the Lawrence family in honor of their bequests to the then Sterling-Coloma Township Park District. The pool was constructed in the late 1920s and is the home pool for the Sterling Sterling Stingray Swim Club. Lawrence Park is located on the Avenue G Island.
The Sinnissippi Dam Walkway and Martin's Landing officially opened on September 20, 2008, after years of combined effort from the Sterling Park District, the City of Sterling, the City of Rock Falls, the Coloma Township Park District and the Illinois Department of Natural Resources. The Sinnissippi Dam Walkway provides a link between the ever expanding trail system in Sterling and the Hennepin Feeder Canal in Rock Falls. The Sinnissippi Dam Walkway offers bicyclists, runners, walkers and other recreational users a safe and scenic route across the Rock River and Martin's Landing is the welcoming point to Sterling and the entry to the ever expanding trail system in Sterling. Martin’s Landing and the Sinnissippi Dam Walkway are located at 10th Avenue and 2nd Street (behind the Dillon Home Museum).
In 1968, the Park District received a recreational lease from the US Corp of Engineers on 31 acres (130,000 m2), which is now known as Harry Oppold Marina. In 1971, the Harbor House, park roads and lighting, a 50-foot (15 m) launch ramp, a 100-foot (30 m) main dock and parking lots were developed through a 100% funded grant. Since the leasing of Oppold, Oxbow Lake was dredged and boat slips, two picnic shelters, picnic units, playground areas, landscaping, and more has been added. Oppold Marina is located on Stouffer Road.
The Propheter Park property was donated to the Sterling Park District in 1986 by Bob Propheter. The park was named and dedicated in his honor. Propheter Park is located at 6th Avenue and East 6th Street.
In 1967, the Park District acquired the 14-acre (57,000 m2) site known as Scheid Park. In the late 1990s, major renovations include improvement of the basketball courts, soccer field, playground equipment, and the addition of a shelter. Scheid Park is located at Woodburn Avenue and West 11th Street.
The largest of the Sterling Park District parks, Sinnissippi Park was acquired in parcels beginning in 1934. It is the site for Hopewillian Indian Mounds, which is on the National Register of Historic Places. Sinnissippi Park is linked to Hoover Park via the S.M.A.R.T. trail system. Sinnissippi Park is located on Sinnissippi Road.
The Skate Park was built in 2004 by the Sterling Park District. It is located behind the Duis Recreation Center and the Frasor Center at St. Mary's Road and Third Avenue.
The 12.25-acre (49,600 m2) site of Thomas Park was purchased from Sterling Farms, Inc., in 1966 in a joint venture with the Sterling School District (where Franklin School was built). The park was named after Ralph Thomas, former president and member of the Board of Commissioners from 1944-1959. Thomas Park is located at 12th Avenue & Lynn Boulevard.
Other articles related to "park, parks":
... The main section of the park contains 1,754 acres (7.10 km2), or 2.75 square miles (7.1 km2), along the Rock Creek Valley ... Including the other green areas the park administers (Glover Archbold Park, Montrose Park, Dumbarton Oaks Park, Meridian Hill Park, Battery Kemble Park, Palisades Park, Whitehaven Park, etc ... Benjamin Harrison on September 27, 1890, the same year that Yosemite National Park was established ...
... Zion National Park is located in the Southwestern United States, near Springdale, Utah ... A prominent feature of the 229-square-mile (590 km2) park is Zion Canyon, which is 15 miles (24 km) long and up to half a mile (800 m) deep, cut through the ... the junction of the Colorado Plateau, Great Basin, and Mojave Desert regions, the park's unique geography and variety of life zones allow for unusual plant and animal diversity ...
... National parks in the Netherlands were defined in the 1960s as areas of at least 10 km² consisting of natural terrains, water and/or forests, with a special landscape and flora and fauna ... The first two national parks were founded in the 1930s by private organisations ... The first official national park, Schiermonnikoog National Park, was not established until 1989 ...
... Big Park is a census-designated place (CDP) in Yavapai County, Arizona, United States ... Big Park is more commonly known as the Village of Oak Creek (VOC), and is a bedroom community for Sedona, Arizona ... Big Park, the pioneers' name for the large open area that became the Village of Oak Creek in the early 1960s, is set among scenic red-rock buttes and canyons ...
Famous quotes containing the words parks, district, sterling and/or park:
“Towns are full of people, houses full of tenants, hotels full of guests, trains full of travelers, cafés full of customers, parks full of promenaders, consulting-rooms of famous doctors full of patients, theatres full of spectators, and beaches full of bathers. What previously was, in general, no problem, now begins to be an everyday one, namely, to find room.”
—José Ortega Y Gasset (18831955)
“Most works of art, like most wines, ought to be consumed in the district of their fabrication.”
—Rebecca West (18921983)
“The great difficulty is first to win a reputation; the next to keep it while you live; and the next to preserve it after you die, when affection and interest are over, and nothing but sterling excellence can preserve your name. Never suffer youth to be an excuse for inadequacy, nor age and fame to be an excuse for indolence.”
—Benjamin Haydon (17861846)
“Therefore awake! make haste, I say,
And let us, without staying,
All in our gowns of green so gay
Into the Park a-maying!”
—Unknown. Sister, Awake! (L. 912)