St. Andrew's Catholic Church, Pasadena - Parish History - Monsignor McCarthy (1918–1944)

Monsignor McCarthy (1918–1944)

Msgr. John Michael McCarthy, a native of Brooklyn, New York, was the parish's fifth pastor, serving in that role for 26 years from 1918 to 1944. He was one of the first California priests to be named monsignor, and was known as the "adobe priest" for his love of the Mexican people. He was also known as the "padre of the boulevard" because of his daily custom of walking the streets of Pasadena, offering spiritual counsel and material gifts to those in need. His successor, Bishop McGucken, said, "The public street became his sanctuary, and the good Padre was no vague humanitarian during his daily missions of mercy ... He was the last link with the heritage of Old California." During Msgr. McCarthy's pastorship, the parish opened a high school and in 1927 built the present church at Raymond and Chestnut Streets. Msgr. McCarthy remained at St. Andrew's as pastor emeritus from 1944 until his death in 1951. Msgr. McCarthy's funeral was attended by some 800 parishioners and church officials.

Read more about this topic:  St. Andrew's Catholic Church, Pasadena, Parish History

Famous quotes containing the word mccarthy:

    A society person who is enthusiastic about modern painting or Truman Capote is already half a traitor to his class. It is middle-class people who, quite mistakenly, imagine that a lively pursuit of the latest in reading and painting will advance their status in the world.
    —Mary McCarthy (1912–1989)