Sexual arousal results in a combination of physiological and psychological factors, like genital sexual response and subjective experience of sexual arousal. The degree to which genital and subjective sexual response correspond is termed concordance. Research has shown a reliable gender difference in concordance of sexual arousal, such that men have a higher level of concordance between genital and subjective sexual responding than women do. Some researchers argue that this gender difference can be attributed to the type of method used to assess genital responding in women. There may be a difference in women's ability to perceive internal versus external genital engorgement subjectively, as measured by vaginal photoplethysmography (VPG) and thermography respectively. Chivers and colleagues found that men's and women's concordance was more similar when thermography was used as a measure of genital sexual arousal than when VPG was used. However, few studies using thermography have been conducted and further research is required to determine whether the gender difference in concordance is a measurement artifact or a true phenomenon.
Read more about this topic: Sexual Arousal
Other articles related to "concordance":
... A large and compleat concordance to the Bible in English according to the last translation first collected by Clement Cotton and now much enlarged and amended for the good both of schollars ... A large and compleat concordance to the Bible in English according to the last translation (a like work formerly performed by Clement Cotton) / by Samuel Newman now teacher at ... A concordance to the Holy Scriptures with the various readings both in text and margin in a more exact method then ]] hath hitherto been extant ...
... Hebrew University and served as co-editor of the Concordance of Early Arabic Poetry ... One volume of the concordance titled Six Early Arab Poets New Edition and Concordance was published in 1999 ...
... A function of a link that is invariant under concordance is called a concordance invariants ... linking number of any two components of a link is one of the most elementary concordance invariants ... The signature of a knot is also a concordance invariant ...
... Concordance as used in genetics usually means the presence of the same trait in both members of a pair of twins ... Ideally, concordance includes that of identical twins ...
Concordance can mean:
- Concordance (publishing), a list of words used in a body of work, with their immediate contexts
- Concordance (genetics), the presence of the same trait in both members of a pair of twins (or set of individuals)
- Concordance (medicine), involvement of patients in decision-making to improve patient compliance with medical advice
- Concordance of evidence, the principle that multiple independent sources of evidence in concordance with each other are mutually supportive and lead to much stronger conclusions than the sources could achieve on their own.
- Agreement (linguistics), a form of cross-reference between different parts of a sentence or phrase.
- Concordance system, in Swiss politics, the presence of all major parties in the Federal Council
- Concordance database, tailored to legal applications, distributed by LexisNexis
- Lambda-CDM model of big-bang cosmology
- Link concordance, a relation between mathematical links in knot theory
- Inter-rater reliability, in statistics, the degree to which multiple measurements of the same thing are similar
- Concordance correlation coefficient, in statistics, a measurement of the agreement between two variables
- Concordance (Concordancia), the conservative alliance in power in Argentina between 1931 and 1943.
Famous quotes containing the word concordance:
“Truth is that concordance of an abstract statement with the ideal limit towards which endless investigation would tend to bring scientific belief, which concordance the abstract statement may possess by virtue of the confession of its inaccuracy and one-sidedness, and this confession is an essential ingredient of truth.”
—Charles Sanders Peirce (18391914)