Sayn-Wittgenstein-Ludwigsburg was a side line of the Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg family, created by Graf Casimir (ruled 1694–1741) for his brother, Ludwig Francis zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (1694–1750). Its seat was a spectacular two-winged house in Berleburg built by the master carpenter Mannus Riedesel.
The line had no territorial holdings of its own and as such had no independent standing in the German Empire. Later generations flourished as officers for the Czar of Russia. With the revolutions and wars of the 20th century, descendants were dispersed throughout Europe and North America.
Read more about Sayn-Wittgenstein-Ludwigsburg: Counts of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Ludwigsburg