Sanquhar

Sanquhar (Scots: Sanchar, from Scottish Gaelic: An t-Seann Chathair meaning "the old seat") is a town on the River Nith in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. It lies north of Thornhill and west of Moffat. It is a former Royal Burgh.

Sanquhar is notable for its tiny post office (established in 1712), claimed to be the oldest working post office in the world. It was also the place where the Covenanters, who opposed episcopalisation of the church, signed the Sanquhar Declaration renouncing their allegiance to the King, an event commemorated by a monument in the main street. The church of St. Brides contains a memorial to James Crichton, a 16th-century polymath. The ruins of Sanquhar Castle stand nearby. Nithsdale Wanderers F.C., the local team, were formed in 1897. In 1924-5, Wanderers won the Scottish Division Three.

Read more about SanquharHistory of Sanquhar, Wool Trade, Sanquhar More Recently, Neighbouring Hills

Other articles related to "sanquhar":

List Of Places In Dumfries And Galloway - S
... Samye Ling Tibetan Monastery Sandhead Sanquhar, Sanquhar Castle, Sanquhar railway station Scaur Water Shinnel Water Solway Firth, Solwaybank Southern ...
Sanquhar Railway Station
... Sanquhar railway station is a railway station in the village of Sanquhar, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland ...
Earl Of Dumfries
... It was originally created for William Crichton, 9th Lord Crichton of Sanquhar, in 1633, and stayed in the Crichton family until the death of the fourth earl in 1758, at which point the title passed to ... are Viscount of Ayr (created 1622), Lord Crichton of Sanquhar (1488), Lord Sanquhar (1622), and Lord Crichton of Cumnock (1633), all in the Peerage of Scotland ...
Sanquhar Declaration
... The Sanquhar Declaration was a speech read by Michael Cameron in the presence of his brother, the Covenanter leader Richard Cameron, accompanied by twenty armed men in the public square of Sanquhar, Scotland, in ...
Sanquhar - Neighbouring Hills
... Sanquhar sits in the Nith valley in close proximity to ranges of interesting hills on either side, the Carsphairn and Scaur range to the west and the Lowther hills to the south east ...