- The Political Economy of Commerce: Southern India, 1500-1650, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1990.
- Improvising Empire: Portuguese Trade and Settlement in the Bay of Bengal, 1500-1700, Delhi: Oxford University Press, 1990 (Revised Portuguese translation: Comércio e Conflito: A Presença Portuguesa no Golfo de Bengala, 1500-1700, Lisbon: Edições 70, 1994).
- (with V. Narayana Rao and David Shulman), Symbols of Substance: Court and State in Nayaka-period Tamil Nadu, Delhi: Oxford University Press, 1992.
- The Portuguese Empire in Asia, 1500-1700: A Political and Economic History, London and New York: Longman, 1993 (Portuguese translation: O Império Asiático Português, 1500-1700: Uma História Política e Económica, DIFEL Editora, Lisbon, 1996); Chinese translation Putaoya diguo zai yazhou, 1500-1700: Zhengzhi he jingji shi (Macau: Comissão Territorial de Macau para as Comemorações dos Descobrimentos Portugueses, 1997); French translation, L’Empire portugais d’Asie, 1500-1700: Histoire économique et politique (Paris: Maisonneuve et Larose, 1999). Recipient of the Prémio D. João de Castro, Portugal, 1994.
- (Ed.) Money and the Market in India, 1100-1700, Delhi: Oxford University Press, (Series: Themes in Indian History), 1994.
- (Ed.) Merchant Networks in the Early Modern World (Series: An Expanding World, Vol. 8), Aldershot: Variorum Books, 1996.
- (Ed. with Kaushik Basu) Unravelling the Nation: Sectarian Conflict and India’s Secular Identity, New Delhi: Penguin Books, 1996.
- (Ed. with Burton Stein) Institutions and Economic Change in South Asia, Delhi: Oxford University Press, 1996.
- The Career and Legend of Vasco da Gama, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1997 (Spanish translation, Vasco de Gama, Barcelona: Crítica, 1998; Portuguese translation, A Carreira e a Lenda de Vasco da Gama, Lisbon: CNCDP, 1998).
- (Ed. with Muzaffar Alam) The Mughal State, 1526-1750, Delhi: Oxford University Press (Series: Themes in Indian History), 1998.
- (Ed.) Sinners and Saints: The Successors of Vasco da Gama, Delhi: Oxford University Press, 1998.
- Penumbral Visions: Making Polities in Early Modern South India, Delhi/Ann Arbor: Oxford University Press/University of Michigan Press, 2001.
- (with Velcheru Narayana Rao and David Shulman) Textures of Time: Writing History in South India, 1600-1800, New Delhi/New York, Permanent Black/Other Books, 2001/2003 (French translation, Textures du temps: Ecrire l’histoire en Inde, Paris: Le Seuil, 2004). (A review symposium on this book appears in History and Theory, 46 (October 2007).)
- (ed. with Claude Markovits and Jacques Pouchepadass)Society and Circulation: Mobile People and Itinerant Cultures in South Asia, 1750-1950, New Delhi, Permanent Black, 2003.
- (ed.) Land, Politics and Trade in South Asia, Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2004.
- Explorations in Connected History: From the Tagus to the Ganges, Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2004.
- Explorations in Connected History: Mughals and Franks, Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2004.
- (ed. with Kenneth McPherson) From Biography to History: Essays in the History of Portuguese Asia (1500-1800), New Delhi: TransBooks, 2006.
- (with Muzaffar Alam) Indo-Persian Travels in the Age of Discoveries, 1400-1800, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2007.
Read more about this topic: Sanjay Subrahmanyam
Famous quotes containing the words publications and/or selected:
“Dr. Calder [a Unitarian minister] said of Dr. [Samuel] Johnson on the publications of Boswell and Mrs. Piozzi, that he was like Actaeon, torn to pieces by his own pack.”
—Horace Walpole (17171797)
“She was so overcome by the splendor of his achievement that she took him into the closet and selected a choice apple and delivered it to him, along with an improving lecture upon the added value and flavor a treat took to itself when it came without sin through virtuous effort. And while she closed with a Scriptural flourish, he hooked a doughnut.”
—Mark Twain [Samuel Langhorne Clemens] (18351910)