Coordinates: 59°56′19″N 30°19′57″E / 59.938742°N 30.332385°E / 59.938742; 30.332385
The State Russian Museum (formerly the Russian Museum of His Imperial Majesty Alexander III) is the largest depository of Russian fine art in St Petersburg.
The museum was established on April 13, 1895, upon enthronement of Nicholas II to commemorate his father, Alexander III. Its original collection was composed of artworks taken from the Hermitage Museum, Alexander Palace, and the Imperial Academy of Arts. After the Russian Revolution of 1917, many private collections were nationalized and relocated to the Russian Museum. These included Kazimir Malevich's Black Square.
The main building of the museum is the Mikhailovsky Palace, a splendid Neoclassical residence of Grand Duke Michael Pavlovich, erected in 1819-25 to a design by Carlo Rossi on Square of Arts in St Petersburg. Upon the death of the Grand Duke the residence was named after his wife as the Palace of the Grand Duchess Elena Pavlovna, and became famous for its many theatrical presentations and balls.
Some of the halls of the palace retain the Italianate opulent interiors of the former imperial residence. Other buildings assigned to the Russian museum include the Summer Palace of Peter I (1710–14), the Marble Palace of Count Orlov (1768–85), St Michael's Castle of Emperor Paul (1797–1801), and the Rastrelliesque Stroganov Palace on the Nevsky Prospekt (1752–54).
The Ethnographic Department was originally set up in a building specially designed by Vladimir Svinyin in 1902. The museum soon housed gifts received by Emperor's family from representatives of peoples inhabiting various regions of the Russian Empire. Further exhibits were purchased by Nicholas II and other members of his family as State financing was not enough to purchase new exhibits. In 1934, the Ethnographic Department was given the status of an independent museum: the Russian Museum of Ethnography.
Read more about Russian Museum: Gallery
Other articles related to "museum, russian museum, russian, museums":
... with over 600 rooms and dazzlingly luxurious interiors, now housing the Hermitage Museum ... Palace (1752–1754, is now a branch of the State Russian Museum, the Vorontsov palace (1749–1757, now a military school), and the Anichkov Palace (1741–1750, many times rebuilt, now a ... situated near the Smolny Institute, used to be a seat of the first Russian parliament, and now the Assembly of Independent States ...
... in Arkhangelsk imprisonment Baytusyn Akhmet (1873–1937) Scientist, public figure, member of Russian parliament (1905–06), Kazakh free thinker, first researcher of Kazakh epos and folklore, author of ... Academy (Turkmenistan, 1951), Damascus Academy (Syria, 1951), staff member of Asian Museum, Art History Institute, Leningrad State University, and Leningrad Institute of Eastern Languages ... was a director of the Bakhchisarai museum, he was an organizer of ethnographical and archeological expeditions ...
... important lanmark in the style of the Greek Revival, is now home of the Russian Naval Museum ... Petersburg's museums is the Hermitage, one of the world's largest and richest collections of Western European art ... But the first Russian museum was established by Peter the Great in the Kunstkammer, erected in 1718–1734 on the opposite bank of the Neva River and formerly a home to the Russian Academy of ...
Famous quotes containing the words museum and/or russian:
“Soaked by the sparkling waters of America.”
—Hawaiian saying no. 2740, lelo NoEau, collected, translated, and annotated by Mary Kawena Pukui, Bishop Museum Press, Hawaii (1983)
“That is almost the whole of Russian literature: the phenomenal coruscations of the souls of quite commonplace people.”
—D.H. (David Herbert)