Rock Creek Park
The main section of the park contains 1,754 acres (7.10 km2), or 2.75 square miles (7.1 km2), along the Rock Creek Valley. Including the other green areas the park administers (Glover Archbold Park, Montrose Park, Dumbarton Oaks Park, Meridian Hill Park, Battery Kemble Park, Palisades Park, Whitehaven Park, etc.), it is over 2,000 acres (8.1 km2). The major portion of the area lies north of the National Zoo, and was established by act of Congress made law by President Benjamin Harrison on September 27, 1890, the same year that Yosemite National Park was established. A later addition of the Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway extended the park along a narrow corridor from the zoo to the mouth of Rock Creek at the Potomac River.
In 1933, Rock Creek Park, along with other National Capital Parks, was transferred to the jurisdiction of the National Park Service, and it is patrolled by the United States Park Police. Legislative language from its establishment, and the character of the park itself, suggests that it is among the oldest of America's national parks.
Recreation facilities include a golf course; equestrian trails; sport venues, including a tennis stadium which hosts major professional events; a nature center and planetarium; an outdoor concert venue; and picnic and playground facilities. Rock Creek Park also maintains cultural exhibits, including the Peirce Mill and Civil War fortifications, such as Fort Stevens and Fort DeRussy. Rock Creek is a popular venue for jogging, cycling, and inline skating, especially on the long, winding Beach Drive, portions of which are closed to vehicles on weekends.
It is also the path of a major traffic thoroughfare, the Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway, especially along the portion south of the zoo.
The parklands follow the course of Rock Creek across the D.C.-Maryland border to connect with Rock Creek Stream Valley Park and Rock Creek Regional Park in Montgomery County. The Maryland parks are operated by the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission.
The Rock Creek Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 23, 1991.
In May 2002, the remains of missing Federal Bureau of Prisons intern Chandra Levy were found in Rock Creek Park. Police had been searching for her for over a year.
Read more about this topic: Rock Creek Park
... Congressional authorizations Rock Creek Park – September 27, 1890 Meridian Hill Park – June 25, 1910 Montrose Park – March 2, 1911 Rock Creek Potomac Parkway – March 4, 1913 Dumbarton Oaks Park ...
... National Capital Parks are the oldest parks in the National Park System ... These parks began with the founding of the District of Columbia in 1790 ... The current National Capital Parks office is a direct lineal descendant of the original office established by the first commissioners of the District of Columbia in 1791 ...
... admitted to assaulting two other women in the same park where Levy's remains were found ... investigators on the Levy case did not interview the other Rock Creek Park victims ... to 10 years in prison for his other attacks at Rock Creek Park ...
... Little Creek is a town in Kent County, Delaware, United States ... John Woolman attended Quaker meeting at Little Creek in late summer 1748 during a visit to the Southern Counties of Delaware ...
... Overpeck Creek is a tributary of the Hackensack River, approximately 8 miles (13 km) long, in Bergen County in northeastern New Jersey in the United States ... The lower broad mouth of the creek is part of the extended tidal estuary of the lower Hackensack and of the adjacent wetland region known as the New ... The upper creek flows through suburban communities west of New York City ...
Famous quotes containing the words park, rock and/or creek:
“Borrow a child and get on welfare.
Borrow a child and stay in the house all day with the child,
or go to the public park with the child, and take the child
to the welfare office and cry and say your man left you and
be humble and wear your dress and your smile, and dont talk
—Susan Griffin (b. 1943)
“Glorious things of thee are spoken, Zion city of our God!
He, whose word cannot be broken, Formd for thee his own abode:
On the rock of ages founded, What can shake thy sure repose?
With salvations walls surrounded Thou mayst smile at all thy foes.”
—John Newton (17251807)
“The only law was that enforced by the Creek Lighthorsemen and the U.S. deputy marshals who paid rare and brief visits; or the two volumes of common law that every man carried strapped to his thighs.”
—State of Oklahoma, U.S. relief program (1935-1943)