Rhodesia, Nottinghamshire

Rhodesia is a village and parish located in the county of Nottinghamshire, in central England. The village lies 20 miles from Sheffield and is a part of the Sheffield city region. It was named after the erstwhile Chairman of the nearby Shireoaks Colliery, G. Preston Rhodes.

Rhodesia is a small ex-mining village near to Worksop in Nottinghamshire. The village consists of just over three hundred houses, one pub, two shops, a school, a chapel and a village hall. Part of the village is bordered by the newly restored Chesterfield Canal and is also adjacent to the A57. It was built in 1920 near to the established tiny settlement of Haggonfields to provide housing for workers from the nearby Shireoaks and Steetley Pits. The village was named Rhodesia after the long-time chairman of the Colliery Company, Mr G. Preston Rhodes. Tylden Road, the main road through the village, was named after the Pit’s first manager.