Paddington, Queensland - Notable Buildings - Given Terrace

Given Terrace

  • The Paddington Tavern at 186 Given Terrace, which is a modern tavern built on the site of the old Paddington Hotel which was demolished in the early 1980s
  • The Hanlon shops at 216-228 Given Terrace, which are “terraced” styled shops with accommodation above formerly owned by the family of Pat Hanlon, who was the brother to Premier Ned Hanlon. The building was originally constructed in the 1880s and has been modified since however the original structure is still visible.
  • The old Uniting Church at 234-244 Given Terrace was sold to private interests in the 1980s and burnt down in the 1996 after development proposals were rejected by the Brisbane City Council (a fate that was to befall the Red Hill Roller Skating rink also, that is fire subsequent to a rejection of development by the Brisbane City Council). The wooden building was built in 1906 to accommodate the new congregation of the merged local Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist churches. The building was designed specifically for the triangular block and the new commercial and residential building largely reflects the shape of the original building. The only original thing remaining are the brick retaining walls facing Given Terrace.
  • The old Sheard’s Bakery at 265 – 267 Given Terrace. Constructed around 1888 it was a bakery for many years before being sold and converted into a shop and then restaurant.
  • The Kookaburra Café at 280 Given Terrace. Built around 1888 the building stands on land once owned by Louis Le Gould who was the son of a French General who was Aide de Camp to Napoleon Bonaparte. Le Gould was a local luminary who was an unsuccessful candidate for alderman in the 1860s.
  • The former Paddington Post Office on 293 Given Terrace at the corner of Latrobe Terrace, is a classic example of a Type T15 Federation Timber design, built in 1900. These commercial buildings feature a gable in the facade, including vent; veranda / porch with near flat roof, columns span the front with a balustrade around the porch and a large lantern vent centrally place in the roof.
  • The Sisters of Mercy Sacred Heart Convent at 327 Given Terrace, Paddington built in 1917. The building is representative of the Federation Queen Anne style in the timber detailing and asymmetrical façade. It is a good typical of the design of convents throughout Australia, which were built as prominent and substantial buildings, and were designed with the chapel within, often expressed as a projecting bay. The convent was designed by the architect T R Hall who designed other buildings for the Catholic Church including Our Lady of Victories, Bowen Hills, in partnership with GG Prentice. Hall designed other prominent buildings during this partnership, including the city hall, McDonnell and East building and the travel centre of New South Wales. The building is in private ownership though is heritage listed.
  • The Sacred Heart Church, Rosalie, at 358 Given Terrace, is a large Catholic church which was opened on 16 June 1918 and designed by prominent architect G.M. Addison. The church has a single-manual mechanical action organ was originally installed by J. W. Walker & Sons of London in 1885 and it is fully enclosed. It suffered damage by fire in 1942. In 1982 restoration was undertaken by H. W. Jarrott of Brisbane. The building is heritage listed
  • The old Ashton butchers building at 7-9 Latrobe Terrace (now a private business). Originally built in 1888 it housed Ashton’s Butchers until the 1910s when it was taken over by the government and became the State Butchery.
  • Foresters' Hall, at 16 Latrobe Terrace (currently a St Vincent de Paul “Vinnies” opportunity Shop). This timber hall was built between June and September in 1888 for the Trustees of Court Foresters' Hope, number 6535 of the Ancient Order of Foresters' Friendly Society, United Brisbane District and demonstrates a way of life during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries when friendly societies, which provided a welfare service by means of mutual aid, were a prominent and expanding part of Queensland society. The friendly societies came to Australia as part of the British philosophy of self-help and mutual aid which became prevalent during the industrial revolution. The building is also of interest for its legacy as part of the 1880s development boom which transformed Paddington from a semi-rural area into a commuter suburb of Brisbane. The Paddington Foresters' Hall had a seating capacity of 320 people and provided a thriving community service to the growing population of Paddington as a hall which could be let to the public for meetings including local Rechabites, the Salvation Army, the Ithaca Ratepayers Association, the Women's Christian Charity and the Theodore Unmack Society of Masons, the local Labour Party. In 1996, the hall was purchased by the present owners and Vinnies, an opportunity shop run by the Order of St Vincent de Paul, is there now.
  • The Former Salvation Army Hall at 29 Latrobe Terrace (currently Endeavour Opportunity Shop). The Hall was built in 1897 and the “Army” played a vital role in providing relief during the various depressions. Its presence in the area reflects the former working class area of the suburb. The building was sold to private owners in the 1970s.
  • The former Paddington Plaza Theatre on 153 – 171 Latrobe Terrace (now the Paddington Antique Centre) is a traditional example of the 1930s movie house. It is a large and imposing timber building with rendered brickwork at either end and an awning which protrudes from the facade. The roof is gabled and constructed of corrugated iron. The building has been little modified internally and the main area is a large rectangular space with a vaulted plaster ceiling. The building is important in illustrating the pattern of development of suburban cinemas in Brisbane, and in illustrating the evolution of cinemas in Queensland, during the interwar years of the 20th century. It is important also in illustrating the pattern of development of the Paddington district. The building was erected circa 1929 by Brisbane contractor John Hutchinson for Greater Brisbane Motion Pictures Ltd and probably designed by Brisbane architect Richard Gailey jnr, the Plaza is a rare early 20th century 'atmospheric' theatre in Queensland. This ceiling was painted a vibrant blue and stars used to twinkle and backlit clouds and a moon moved across the sky on tracks. The blue paint is still apparent and some of the clouds still exist as does the proscenium which is constructed of plaster and features ornate plaster work. The term “atmospheric” denotes a picture theatre with an interior décor that simulated an exotic outdoor setting. Atmospheric cinemas were popularised in Australia in the late 1920s and early 1930s after the architect for Sydney-based Union Theatres, Henry White, travelled to the United States to study picture theatre design. Shortly after construction commenced, the Hutchinson family acquired both the building and the land, commencing a long association with the theatre. In 1929 the Plaza Theatre faced strong competition from at least two rival picture shows in the Paddington-Red Hill district: Stephens New Paddington Theatre on Given Terrace (which was demolished in the early 1980s to make the Paddington Centre) and Red Hill Picture Pops on Enoggera Terrace (which became the Red Hill Roller Skating rink and “mysteriously” burnt down following a development proposal in the early 2000s). Although the Plaza was by no means the first picture theatre in the Paddington district, it was the most ornate, erected in a third wave of picture theatre construction which swept Brisbane suburbs in the late 1920s and 1930s. The picture theatre was open seven days a week, with serials shown on Monday and Tuesday nights, films and newsreels on other nights, and a matinee programme on Sunday afternoons. On Saturdays, trams reputedly would stop outside the theatre at opening time and wait until the film finished to take patrons home again. Popular films attracted audiences of around 1200, for the movies appealed to all ages. A special soundproofed glass room, called the 'cry room', was provided for young mothers and their babies. The Plaza theatre also hosted dances and balls mainly for the local school of Marist Brothers Rosalie. The theatre operated successfully until television was introduced to Brisbane in the late 1950s, by which time Plaza audiences were reduced to 20-30 patrons per screening ( though the auditorium in 1960 contained seating for 932 persons). In 1961 the Plaza Theatre ceased to operate as a cinema and a level floor was installed and the building was used for indoor basketball until a court case instigated by a neighbour who complained of the noise. The Plaza remained mostly vacant until 1974 and was sold the theatre in 1977 and it currently houses an antiques retailing centre. The shops fronting Latrobe Terrace are still occupied by a variety of tenants, and the complex is still the focus of a small nodal shopping centre. The Plaza Theatre (Padding Antique Centre) complex now includes a series of small retail shops on either side of the foyer entrance .
  • The Ithaca Embankments on Latrobe Terrace below the Ithaca War memorial on first blush appear to be nothing more than a cut away into the side of a hill. They however are important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of the Ithaca Town Council's early 20th century street beautification projects, being some of the best surviving examples, and provide important surviving evidence of stone retaining wall and edging techniques practised by Brisbane's public landscape gardeners in the early 20th century, which were influential on civic landscaping throughout Queensland and Australia.

Read more about this topic:  Paddington, Queensland, Notable Buildings

Other articles related to "terrace":

Lake Terrace
... Lake Terrace or Lake terrace may refer to Lake Terrace (skyscraper), a building in Dubai ... Lake Terrace/Lake Oaks, New Orleans, a neighborhood of New Orleans Lake (lacustrine) terrace, the former shoreline of a lake ...
Cressing Road - Current Format
... stands The Main Stand, a 553-seat covered stand with uncovered terrace on either side with a capacity of 735 ... The Clubhouse End, an 803-capacity uncovered terrace ... The Quag End, with a 761-capacity terrace (of which 357 is covered) The Cressing Road side, a 1,296-capacity terrace (of which 862 is covered) ...
Copp's Hill Terrace
... Copp's Hill Terrace is an historic terrace and park between Commercial and Charter Streets west of Jackson Place on Copp's Hill in Boston, Massachusetts near Copp's ... overlooking Commercial Street and the Mystic River, the terrace was designed in the 1890s by landscape architect Charles Eliot of Olmsted, Olmsted and Eliot, and built by Boston contractor Perkins White ... From the terrace, a large crowd observed the destruction wrought by Boston's Great Molasses Flood of 1919 ...
Terrace, Utah
... Terrace is a ghost town, located in the Great Salt Lake Desert in west-central Box Elder County, Utah, United States ... Terrace was dependent on the railroad throughout its history ... The new route bypassed Terrace, and the tracks through town became a little-used branchline ...

Famous quotes containing the word terrace:

    A tree that can fill the span of a man’s arms
    Grows from a downy tip;
    A terrace nine stories high
    Rises from hodfuls of earth;
    A journey of a thousand miles
    Starts from beneath one’s feet.
    Lao-Tzu (6th century B.C.)