Old Idaho State Penitentiary
The Old Idaho Penitentiary State Historic Site was a functional prison from 1872 to 1973. The first building, also known as the Territorial Prison, was constructed in the Territory of Idaho in 1870. The territory was less than ten years old when the prison was built east of Boise, Idaho in the western United States. From its beginnings as a single cell house, the penitentiary grew to a complex of several distinctive buildings surrounded by a 17 ft. high sandstone wall. The stone was quarried from the nearby ridges by the resident convicts, who also assisted in later constructions.
The Old Idaho Penitentiary is operated by the Idaho State Historical Society.
Other articles related to "old idaho state penitentiary, idaho, state, old idaho":
... The site currently contains museums, an arboretum and is a facility managed by the Idaho State Historical Society ... donated his personal collection of historic arms and military memorabilia to the state of Idaho ... Earl Exhibit at the Old Idaho Penitentiary ...
Famous quotes containing the word state:
“Every natural fact is a symbol of some spiritual fact. Every appearance in nature corresponds to some state of the mind, and that state of the mind can only be described by presenting that natural appearance as its picture.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)