North Pickenham is a village in the Breckland district of mid-Norfolk, East Anglia, England in the United Kingdom. Named after its leader Pinca, Pica or maybe Piccea with ham meaning homestead, it became a pagan Anglo Saxon settlement in the 5th century AD. It remained part of a Saxon kingdom until the Norman Conquest in 1066 when it became part of the honour of the Earl of Richmond, Yorkshire. The old village sign showed a Saxon (left) and a Norman (right) warrior (see Great Britain in the Middle Ages) with Richmond Castle and the river Wissey in the background; The sign was designed by Ben Ripper, a local historian, and carved by Steve Eggleton. A new village statue by Tom Yorke replaced the deteriorating old sign and was unveiled by the incumbent MP George Freeman on 22 October 2010.
North Pickenham has an area of 1015 hectares (3.92 square miles) with a population of 500 as of 2001 census Norfolk (pop. 832,400) has about a 30th the population density of Central London, the tenth lowest density county in the country, with 38% of the county’s population living in the three major built up areas of Norwich (194,200), Great Yarmouth (66,400) and King's Lynn (40,700).
It has a Parish Council Tax (Band D).
It was once in the Hundred of South Greenhoe.
North Pickenham is three miles, as the crow flies, from the Georgian market town of Swaffham.
The River Wissey cuts through the village at Houghton Lane bridge, following the course of Meadow Lane, close to the river's source at Bradenham.
Its sister village South Pickenham is two miles away through pretty, narrow country lanes.
North Pickenham has a newly extended school with its own wind turbine. Its namesake, at the centre of the village, is St Andrew's church in the Benefice of Necton
Adjacent to the church is a freehouse pub called the Blue Lion which, with recent surveys and listed buildings visits, suggest it dates from the late 18th century with documented licensees from the mid-19th century.
North Pickenham is near to the lost village of Houghton on the Hill with the restored church of St Mary's, with its amazing 11th century wall paintings, instigated with tireless devotion by Bob Davey MBE.
The former Royal Air Force station, RAF North Pickenham, was located nearby hosting American B-24 Liberator bombers during World War II. In the late 1950s and early 1960s three PGM-17 Thor nuclear missiles were located here with early cases of CND acts of civil disobedience. The airbase is now the site of a turkey farm owned by Bernard Matthews, a karting circuit and an eight-turbine wind farm run by North Pickenham Wind Farm LLP. A 'stealth blade', which is trying to be invisible to aviation radar, was tested on one of the turbines here in October 2009. In February 2009 Bernard Matthews detailed plans to put two turbines at the airfield site, an independent development to the eight turbines already there.
The 46 mile Peddars Way footpath runs through the village, 19 miles from its south eastern start in Suffolk. The Peddars Way starts at Knettishall Heath Country Park and follows the route of a Roman road to Holme-next-the-Sea on the Norfolk coast north of Hunstanton. At Holme the Peddars Way meets the Norfolk Coast Path as it runs east along the north Norfolk coast, designated as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, to the Victorian seaside resort of Cromer.
The annual local village show was reinstated in 2007. It raises funds for the church and highlights the growing and making skills of local residents.
Other articles related to "north pickenham":
... The USAAF evacuated North Pickenham in August 1945 with the airfield becoming an RAF satellite for No ... North Pickenham was transferred to RAF Bomber Command in March 1948 and became inactive on 26 October ... North Pickenham was later used for testing the Hawker P.1127, an experimental aircraft which would later evolve into the Hawker Siddeley Harrier, and the site was finally sold in 1967 at ...
... Royal Air Force Station North Pickenham or more simply RAF North Pickenham is a former Royal Air Force station located 6.3 miles (10.1 km) of North Pickenham, Norfolk, England ...
... father was described as "Robert Constable, late of North Pickenham in co ... I Constable sold a messuage called Frostes in North Pickenham to George Constable (assumed to be a relative), and that he paid for both of his son's tuition ... II Canham, the son of Simon I Canham (-1584) of Ashill, Norfolkshire (1½ miles from North Pickenham) and his wife Alice (-1603)Campling's East Anglian ...
... However, on some of the dispersed sites in and around North Pickenham Village a few of the wartime buildings can still be found, including the old headquarters block ... of the two Bomb Groups that flew from North Pickenham was dedicated during a 2d Air Division reunion in 1987 ... a quartz clock was presented to the villagers of North Pickenham by the 492d Bombardment Group ...
Famous quotes containing the word north:
the remote north countrys
—Matsuo Basho (16441694)