Economic Books and Articles (in Chronological Order)
- "Professor Pigou's Method for Measuring Elasticities of Demand From Budgetary Data" The Quarterly Journal of Economics Vol. 50, No. 1 (Nov., 1935), pp. 151–163 JSTOR
- "Marginal Utility of Money and Elasticities of Demand," The Quarterly Journal of Economics Vol. 50, No. 3 (May, 1936), pp. 532–533 JSTOR
- "The Use of Ranks to Avoid the Assumption of Normality Implicit in the Analysis of Variance," Journal of the American Statistical Association Vol. 32, No. 200 (Dec., 1937), pp. 675–701 JSTOR
- "The Inflationary Gap: II. Discussion of the Inflationary Gap," American Economic Review Vol. 32, No. 2, Part 1 (Jun., 1942), pp. 314–320 JSTOR
- "The Spendings Tax as a Wartime Fiscal Measure," American Economic Review Vol. 33, No. 1, Part 1 (Mar., 1943), pp. 50–62 JSTOR
- Taxing to Prevent Inflation: Techniques for Estimating Revenue Requirements (Columbia U.P. 1943, 236pp) with Carl Shoup and Ruth P. Mack
- Income from Independent Professional Practice with Simon Kuznets (1945), Friedman's PhD thesis
- "Lange on Price Flexibility and Employment: A Methodological Criticism," American Economic Review Vol. 36, No. 4 (Sep., 1946), pp. 613–631 JSTOR
- "Utility Analysis of Choices Involving Risk" with Leonard Savage, 1948, Journal of Political Economy Vol. 56, No. 4 (Aug., 1948), pp. 279–304 JSTOR
- "A Monetary and Fiscal Framework for Economic Stability", 1948, American Economic Review, Vol. 38, No. 3 (Jun., 1948), pp. 245–264 JSTOR
- "A Fiscal and Monetary Framework for Economic Stability," Econometrica Vol. 17, Supplement: Report of the Washington Meeting (Jul., 1949), pp. 330–332 JSTOR
- "The Marshallian Demand Curve," The Journal of Political Economy Vol. 57, No. 6 (Dec., 1949), pp. 463–495 JSTOR
- "Wesley C. Mitchell as an Economic Theorist," The Journal of Political Economy Vol. 58, No. 6 (Dec., 1950), pp. 465–493 JSTOR
- "Some Comments on the Significance of Labor Unions for Economic Policy", 1951, in D. McC. Wright, editor, The Impact of the Union.
- "Commodity-Reserve Currency," Journal of Political Economy Vol. 59, No. 3 (Jun., 1951), pp. 203–232 JSTOR
- "Price, Income, and Monetary Changes in Three Wartime Periods," American Economic Review Vol. 42, No. 2, Papers and Proceedings of the Sixty-fourth Annual Meeting of the American Economic Association (May, 1952), pp. 612–625 JSTOR
- "The Expected-Utility Hypothesis and the Measurability of Utility", with Leonard Savage, 1952, Journal of Political Economy Vol. 60, No. 6 (Dec., 1952), pp. 463–474 JSTOR
- The Methodology of Positive Economics (1953)
- Essays in Positive Economics (1953)
- "Choice, Chance, and the Personal Distribution of Income," Journal of Political Economy Vol. 61, No. 4 (Aug., 1953), pp. 277–290 JSTOR
- "A Memorandum to the Government of India November 1955", MS first published at University of Hawaii May 21, 1989; first published in the book Foundations of India's Political Economy, edited by Subroto Roy & WE James, Sage 1992
- "The Quantity Theory of Money: A restatement", 1956, in Friedman, editor, Studies in Quantity Theory.
- A Theory of the Consumption Function (1957)
- "A Statistical Illusion in Judging Keynesian Models" with Gary S. Becker, Journal of Political Economy Vol. 65, No. 1 (Feb., 1957), pp. 64–75 JSTOR
- "The Supply of Money and Changes in Prices and Output", 1958, in Relationship of Prices to Economic Stability and Growth.
- "The Demand for Money: Some Theoretical and Empirical Results," Journal of Political Economy Vol. 67, No. 4 (Aug., 1959), pp. 327–351 JSTOR
- A Program for Monetary Stability (Fordham University Press, 1960) 110 pp online version
- "Monetary Data and National Income Estimates," Economic Development and Cultural Change Vol. 9, No. 3, (Apr., 1961), pp. 267–286 JSTOR
- "The Lag in Effect of Monetary Policy," Journal of Political EconomyVol. 69, No. 5 (Oct., 1961), pp. 447–466 JSTOR
- Price Theory ISBN 0-202-06074-8 (1962), college textbook online version
- "The Interpolation of Time Series by Related Series," Journal of the American Statistical Association Vol. 57, No. 300 (Dec., 1962), pp. 729–757 JSTOR
- "Should There be an Independent Monetary Authority?", in L.B. Yeager, editor, In Search of a Monetary Constitution
- Inflation: Causes and consequences, 1963.
- "Money and Business Cycles," The Review of Economics and Statistics Vol. 45, No. 1, Part 2, Supplement (Feb., 1963), pp. 32–64 JSTOR
- A Monetary History of the United States, 1867-1960, with Anna J. Schwartz, 1963; part 3 reprinted as The Great Contraction
- "Money and Business Cycles" with A. J. Schwartz, 1963, Review of Economics & Statistics.
- "The Relative Stability of Monetary Velocity and the Investment Multiplier in the United States, 1898-1958", with D. Meiselman, 1963, in Stabilization Policies.
- "A Reply to Donald Hester", with D. Meiselman, 1964
- "Reply to Ando and Modigliani and to DePrano and Mayer," with David Meiselman. American Economic Review Vol. 55, No. 4 (Sep., 1965), pp. 753–785 JSTOR
- "Interest Rates and the Demand for Money," Journal of Law and Economics Vol. 9 (Oct., 1966), pp. 71–85 JSTOR
- The Balance of Payments: Free Versus Fixed Exchange Rates with Robert V. Roosa (1967)
- "The Monetary Theory and Policy of Henry Simons," Journal of Law and Economics Vol. 10 (Oct., 1967), pp. 1–13 JSTOR
- "What Price Guideposts?", in G.P. Schultz, R.Z. Aliber, editors, Guidelines
- "The Role of Monetary Policy." American Economic Review, Vol. 58, No. 1 (Mar., 1968), pp. 1–17 JSTOR presidential address to American Economics Association
- "Money: the Quantity Theory", 1968, IESS
- "The Definition of Money: Net Wealth and Neutrality as Criteria" with Anna J. Schwartz, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking Vol. 1, No. 1 (Feb., 1969), pp. 1–14 JSTOR
- 'Monetary vs. Fiscal Policy with Walter W. Heller (1969)
- "Comment on Tobin", 1970, Quarterly Journal of Economics
- "Monetary Statistics of the United States: Sources, methods. with Anna J. Schwartz, 1970.
- "A Theoretical Framework for Monetary Analysis," Journal of Political Economy Vol. 78, No. 2 (Mar., 1970), pp. 193–238 JSTOR
- The Counter-Revolution in Monetary Theory 1970.
- "A Monetary Theory of Nominal Income", 1971, Journal of Political Economy JSTOR
- "Government Revenue from Inflation," Journal of Political Economy Vol. 79, No. 4 (Jul., 1971), pp. 846–856 JSTOR
- "Have Monetary Policies Failed?" American Economic Review Vol. 62, No. 1/2 (1972), pp. 11–18 JSTOR
- "Comments on the Critics," Journal of Political Economy Vol. 80, No. 5 (Sep., 1972), pp. 906–950 JSTOR
- "Comments on the Critics", 1974, in Gordon, ed. Milton Friedman and his Critics.
- "Monetary Correction: A proposal for escalation clauses to reduce the cost of ending inflation", 1974
- The Optimum Quantity of Money: And Other Essays (1976)
- Milton Friedman in Australia, 1975 (1975)
- Milton Friedman's Monetary Framework: A Debate with His Critics (1975) excerpt and text search
- "Comments on Tobin and Buiter", 1976, in J. Stein, editor, Monetarism.
- "Inflation and Unemployment: Nobel lecture", 1977, Journal of Political Economy. Vol. 85, pp. 451–72. JSTOR
- "Interrelations between the United States and the United Kingdom, 1873-1975.", with A.J. Schwartz, 1982, J Int Money and Finance
- Monetary Trends in the United States and the United Kingdom: Their relations to income, prices and interest rates, 1876-1975. with Anna J. Schwartz, 1982
- "Monetary Policy: Theory and Practice," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking Vol. 14, No. 1 (Feb., 1982), pp. 98–118 JSTOR
- "Monetary Policy: Tactics versus strategy", 1984, in Moore, editor, To Promote Prosperity.
- "Lessons from the 1979-1982 Monetary Policy Experiment," American Economic Review Vol. 74, No. 2, Papers and Proceedings ... of the American Economic Association (May, 1984), pp. 397–401.
- "Has Government Any Role in Money?" with Anna J. Schwartz, 1986, JME
- "Quantity Theory of Money", in J. Eatwell, M. Milgate, P. Newman, eds., The New Palgrave (1998)
- "Money and the Stock Market," Journal of Political Economy Vol. 96, No. 2 (Apr., 1988), pp. 221–245 JSTOR
- "Bimetallism Revisited," Journal of Economic Perspectives Vol. 4, No. 4 (Autumn, 1990), pp. 85–104 JSTOR
- "The Crime of 1873," Journal of Political Economy Vol. 98, No. 6 (Dec., 1990), pp. 1159–1194 JSTOR
- "Franklin D. Roosevelt, Silver, and China," Journal of Political Economy Vol. 100, No. 1 (Feb., 1992), pp. 62–83 JSTOR
- Milton Friedman on Economics: Selected Papers by Milton Friedman, edited by Gary S. Becker (2008)
Read more about this topic: Milton Friedman Bibliography
Famous quotes containing the words economic, articles and/or books:
“... business training in early life should not be regarded solely as insurance against destitution in the case of an emergency. For from business experience women can gain, too, knowledge of the world and of human beings, which should be of immeasurable value to their marriage careers. Self-discipline, co-operation, adaptability, efficiency, economic management,if she learns these in her business life she is liable for many less heartbreaks and disappointments in her married life.”
—Hortense Odlum (1892?)
“There are several natural phenomena which I shall have to have explained to me before I can keep on going as a resident member of the human race. One is the metamorphosis which hats and suits undergo exactly one week after their purchase, whereby they are changed from smart, intensely becoming articles of apparel into something children use when they want to dress up like daddy.”
—Robert Benchley (18891945)
“The art of writing books is not yet invented. But it is at the point of being invented. Fragments of this nature are literary seeds. There may be many an infertile grain among them: nevertheless, if only some come up!”
—Novalis [Friedrich Von Hardenberg] (17721801)