Medway Watermills (middle Tributaries) - Tributaries of The Teise - Brookland Forge, Frant

Brookland Forge, Frant

TQ 618 349 51°05′26″N 0°18′41″E / 51.090463°N 0.311403°E / 51.090463; 0.311403

This forge was sold by Humphrey Lewknor to John Barham in 1521. It remained in the Barham's ownership until it was abandoned sometime between 1629 and 1640. In 1574 Thomas Gresham leased the forge, and sub-leased it to John Carpenter. In 1610 it was leased to Thomas Saunders. There is evidence that the forge had an overshot waterwheel. The dam has been recorded as 65 metres (71 yd) long and 1.5 metres (4 ft 11 in) high.

Read more about this topic:  Medway Watermills (middle Tributaries), Tributaries of The Teise

Other related articles:

Shire Brook - History - Former Industry
... Like many of Sheffield’s water courses, the Shire Brook’s water power was harnessed for turning Water wheels for industry before the coming of steam and electricity ... During the 19th century there were five wheels operating in the valley producing power to sharpen scythes and sickles ...
Caleb Alexander (comics) - Adversary
... physically on Earth as the son of Haven, but was again banished by Forge, who was at the time affiliated with X-Factor ...
Coventryville Historic District - History
... In 1723, Nutt formed a partnership with Mordecai Lincoln (great-great grandfather of Abraham Lincoln) and expanded the operation to include two furnaces, Warwick and Redding ... It was at Redding Furnace that same year that experiments led to the production of early steel ...