History & Amenities
Madresfield is part of a Church of England parish which includes the neighbouring village of Guarlford. There is a parish church in the village (dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin). There have been three churches, the first a small chapel that was mainly used by the Beauchamps. A second church, built on marshy ground to the designs of Augustus Pugin, was demolished after only twelve years after becoming unsafe. The present church was built on land donated by the Earl Beauchamp and re-used many items from the earlier church. The church, dedicated to St Mary the Virgin, has a refurbished peal of bells which are on the visiting circuit of regional campanologists. The bells were rehung in December 2005 following recasting of 1 and 2 from the scrap metal of the old 4th and tenor and retuning the other bells.,The village also has a primary school.
A Roman kiln was discovered on ground near Northend Farm, and near to what is now called Roman Way. There is an 800 year old ditch alongside Townsend Way that was once the boundary to the ancient village of Madresfield.
The main road though the village was re-routed in the early 19th century to move it away from Madresfield Court. Many of the village houses were built just after this period.
The village boasted two village greens, Mathersfield Green near "Byways" and Bunn's Green on the corner of Northend Lane and Rectory Lane.
The first Point to point racing amateur horseback race was held at Madresfield in 1836.
Read more about this topic: Madresfield
Other related articles:
... The poet and scholar John Morgan was born in the village and Abram Wood, a famous Welsh gypsy, was buried there in 1799 ... The community of Llangelynnin includes the larger village of Llwyngwril and the hamlet of Rhoslefain within its boundaries ...
Famous quotes containing the word history:
“Its nice to be a part of history but people should get it right. I may not be perfect, but Im bloody close.”
—John Lydon (formerly Johnny Rotten)