The Madai Vadukunda Shiva Temple is believed to have been constructed by “Kolathiri” Kings during medieval period on a plateau land generally known now as “Madai Para” in Madai Village, Kannur Taluk and District of Kerala State. This is situating 22 km north of Kannur, the Head Quarter Town. The “Kolathiri” Kingdom is an inherent branch of erstwhile “Mooshaka” Dynasty, which ruled “Ezhimala” empire during 5th to 8th Century. About 1200 years back a branch of their dynasty had migrated and settled down at Madai, which was then an important port and trading center, 4 km south of Ezhimala. They constructed castles and temples and established their head quarters on “Madai Para”, a significant plateau land lying at about 150 ft height from the sea level having sight to an extent of 20 km from all sides. Sree Vadukunda Siva Temple was thus constructed on “Madai Para” in the southwest corner of it at a holy spot due to the presence of the divine power of “Swayambhoo” of lord Siva.
Famous quotes containing the word temple:
“Lord, how can man preach thy eternall word?
He is a brittle crazie glasse:
Yet in thy temple thou dost him afford
This glorious and transcendent place,
To be a window, through thy grace.”
—George Herbert (15931633)