Mountains and Hills
- Bergeberget, Norway (The Hill Hill - Norwegian)
- Brda Hills, Slovenia - "brda" means small hills in Slovene (thus, the area is sometimes referred to as "Goriška Brda" or "Gorizia Hills" to distinguish it from others)
- Bredon Hill, England (Hill Hill Hill - Brythonic/Old English/Modern English); compare Bredon and Breedon on the Hill (Hill Hill on the Hill - Brythonic/Saxon/Modern English)
- Brill, England (Hill Hill - Brythonic/Saxon) - also once known in documents as Brill-super-montem (Hill Hill on the Hill - Brythonic/Saxon/Latin)
- Brincliffe Edge, Sheffield, UK (Burning Hill Hill Welsh/English)
- Bryn Glas Hill, Wales (Blue Hill Hill - Welsh/English)
- Brynhill, Wales (Hill Hill - Welsh/English)
- Djebel Amour, Algeria: (Arabic & Tamazight)
- Eizmendi: Haitz Mendi 'mount mount' (Euskara)
- Filefjell, Norway (The mountain mountain - Norwegian)
- Fjällfjällen, Sweden (The mountain mountains - Swedish)
- Garmendia: Garr- Mendi(a) (fossil & modern Basque)
- Gibraltar, commonly "The Rock of Gibraltar" From Arabic Jebel-Al-Tariq, which means "The Rock of Tariq"
- Hill Mountain, Pembrokeshire, Wales
- Hueco Tanks, an area of low mountains in El Paso County, Texas.
- Knockhill, a common placename in the Scottish Lowlands, deriving from either Scottish Gaelic, cnoc meaning a "hill" or a similar word originating in either Danish or one of the West Germanic languages that predated Old English.
- Kukkulamäki, in 24 distinct locations (Rautjärvi, Jyväskylä, Salo, ...) in Finland, is kukkula "hill" and mäki "hill".
- Mongibellu, Sicilian name of the volcano Etna, in Sicily, Italy (Mountain Mountain, from Romance monte and Arabic žabal).
- Montcuq, Lot, France: Mont Kukk 'mount mount'
- Mount Katahdin, Maine (Mount The Greatest Mountain - English/Penobscot)
- Mount Kenya, Kenya (Mount White Mountain - "Kenya" is from Kikuyu "Kirinyaga", 'white mountain')
- Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania (Mount Mount Njaro - Swahili)
- Mount Maunganui, New Zealand (Mount Mount Big - Māori)
- Ochil Hills, Scotland (Hill hills)
- Pendle Hill, Lancashire, England. (Hill Hill Hill) - "Pen" -(Cumbric language) "Pendle" by epenthesis and elision from "Pen Hyll", the latter word being Old English for "hill".
- Pendleton, near Pendle Hill, Lancashire, England. (Hill Hill Town) or, possibly (Hill Hill Hill), taking the -ton as deriving from Old English dun as opposed to Old English tun.
- Pendleton Hill, North Stonington, Connecticut. (Hill Hill Town Hill) or, possibly, (Hill Hill Hill Hill).
- Pic de la Munia in Piau-Engaly, France: Pic Muño (Romance & Euskara)
- Picacho Peak (Arizona, U.S.) (Peak Peak - Spanish)
- Pinnacle Peak (Maricopa County, Arizona, U.S.) and Mount Pinnacle (southwestern Virginia, U.S.). Both English. Other locations have the same names.
- Slieve Mish Mountains, Ireland (Mis's Mountain mountains)
- Slieve Bloom Mountains, Ireland - (Bladh's Mountain Mountains)
- Summit Peak, New Zealand (Peak Peak - both English) - also the U.S. has five hills called Summit Peak.
- Table Mesa, Colorado (Table Table - Spanish) - also Table Mesa, Arizona
- Torpenhow Hill, England (Hill Hill Hill Hill - SW-British (Tor) / Brythonic (pen = "head") / Anglo-Saxon hōh = "spur of high ground" / English (hill)) (disputed )
- Tuc de la Pale, Ariège, France: Tuk Pal 'mount mount'
- Urlichsberg in central Carinthia, Austria - the name derives from the Slovene name "Vrh", which means peak (more exactly, from the Carinthian Slovene version uerh); the name in German thus means "Mount Peak"
- Vignemale, Pyrenees: Went Mal 'mount mount'
Read more about this topic: List Of Tautological Place Names
Other articles related to "mountains and hills, hill, mountains, mountain, hills":
... Bryn Carnglas Cefn Hengoed Colts Hill Kilvey Hill Mumbles Hill Mynydd-Bach Mynydd y Betws Mynydd y Gwair Townhill ...
... See also List of mountains in Ireland County Kilkenny is comparably low compared to other mountain ranges in Ireland with the highest peak being Brandon Hill (Irish Cnoc Bhréanail), at 515 metres (1,690 ... district, the Castlecomer Plateau includes the Culla Hills to the west of the Nore Valley with Castlecomer Hills and Slieve Marcy to the east ... These hills are divided by the valley of the Dinan river which joins the Nore from the east ...
... Dos Cabezas Mountains La Sal Mountains San Luis Mountains Santa Catalina Mountains Santa Rosa Mountains (California) Santa Rita Mountains Santa Ynez Mountains ...
Famous quotes related to mountains and hills:
“See, see where Christs blood streams in the firmament!
One drop would save my soulhalf a drop! ah, my Christ!
Ah, rend not my heart for naming of my Christ!
Yet will I call on him!O, spare me, Lucifer!
Where is it now? T is gone; and see where God
Stretcheth out his arm, and bends his ireful brows!
Mountains and hills, come, come and fall on me,
And hide me from the heavy wrath of God!”
—Christopher Marlowe (15641593)