Chronological List of Popes (assassinated Because of Defending The Faith)
- This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it.
- Saint Peter (64/67), traditionally martyred by crucifixion.
- Saint Anacletus (88).
- Saint Sixtus I (125), traditionally martyred.
- Saint Hyginus (142), traditionally martyred.
- Saint Pius I (155), by sword.
- Saint Anicetus (166), traditionally martyred.
- Saint Soter (175), traditionally martyred.
- Saint Eleuterus (189), traditionally martyred.
- Saint Callixtus I (223).
- Saint Fabian (250).
- Saint Cornelius (253).
- Saint Stephen I (257).
- Saint Sixtus II (258).
- Saint Martin I (655).
Read more about this topic: List Of Murdered Popes
Famous quotes containing the words defending, popes and/or list:
“While I am in favor of the Government promptly enforcing the laws for the present, defending the forts and collecting the revenue, I am not in favor of a war policy with a view to the conquest of any of the slave States; except such as are needed to give us a good boundary. If Maryland attempts to go off, suppress her in order to save the Potomac and the District of Columbia. Cut a piece off of western Virginia and keep Missouri and all the Territories.”
—Rutherford Birchard Hayes (18221893)
“From Paul to Stalin, the popes who have chosen Caesar have prepared the way for Caesars who quickly learn to despise popes.”
—Albert Camus (19131960)
“Religious literature has eminent examples, and if we run over our private list of poets, critics, philanthropists and philosophers, we shall find them infected with this dropsy and elephantiasis, which we ought to have tapped.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)