Archive and Compressed
- .?Q? – files compressed by the SQ program
- 7z – 7-Zip compressed file
- AAC – Advanced Audio Coding
- ace – ACE compressed file
- ALZ – ALZip compressed file
- APK – Applications installable on Android
- AT3 – Sony's UMD Data compression
- .bke – BackupEarth.com Data compression
- ARJ – ARJ compressed file
- BA – Scifer Archive (.ba), Scifer External Archive Type
- big – Special file compression format used by Electronic Arts for compressing the data for many of EA's games
- BIK (.bik) – Bink Video file. A video compression system developed by RAD Game Tools
- BKF (.bkf) – Microsoft backup created by NTBACKUP.EXE
- bzip2 – (.bz2)
- bmp – (paint)
- bld - Skyscraper Simulator Building
- c4 – JEDMICS image files, a DOD system
- cab – Microsoft Cabinet
- cals – JEDMICS image files, a DOD system
- cpt/sea – Compact Pro (Macintosh)
- DAA – Closed-format, Windows-only compressed disk image
- deb – Debian Linux install package
- DMG – an Apple compressed/encrypted format
- DDZ – a file which can only be used by the "daydreamer engine" created by "fever-dreamer", a program similar to RAGS, it's mainly used to make somewhat short games.
- DPE – Package of AVE documents made with Aquafadas digital publishing tools.
- EEA – An encrypted CAB, ostensibly for protecting email attachments
- .egg – Alzip Egg Edition compressed file
- EGT (.egt) – EGT Universal Document also used to create compressed cabinet files replaces .ecab
- ECAB (.ECAB, .ezip) – EGT Compressed Folder used in advanced systems to compress entire system folders, replaced by EGT Universal Document
- ESS (.ess) – EGT SmartSense File, detects files compressed using the EGT compression system.
- GHO (.gho, .ghs) – Norton Ghost
- gzip (.gz) – Compressed file
- IPG (.ipg) – Format in which Apple Inc. packages their iPod games. can be extracted through Winrar
- jar – ZIP file with manifest for use with Java applications.
- LBR – Library file
- LQR – LBR Library file compressed by the SQ program.
- LHA (.lzh) – Lempel, Ziv, Huffman
- lzip (.lz) – Compressed file
- LZX (algorithm)
- MBRWizard archive (.mbw)
- MPQ Archives (.mpq) – Used by Blizzard games
- MacBinary (.bin)
- NTH (.nth) – Nokia Theme Used by Nokia Series 40 Cellphones
- PAK – Enhanced type of .ARC archive
- Parchive – (.par, .par2)
- Quake 3 archive (.pk3) – (See note on Doom³)
- Doom³ archive (.pk4) – (Opens similarly to a zip archive.)
- RAR Rar Archive (.rar) – for multiple file archive (rar to .r01-.r99 to s01 and so on)
- RAG / RAGS game file, a game playable in the RAGS game-engine, a free program which both allows people to create games, and play games, games created have the file format "RAG game file"
- RPM - Red Hat package/installer for Fedora, RHEL, and similar systems
- SEN Scifer Archive (.sen) – Scifer Internal Archive Type
- sit/sitx – StuffIt (Macintosh)
- SKB – Google Sketchup Backup File
- tar – group of files, packaged as one file
- .tar.gz, .tgz – gzipped tar file
- TB (.tb) – Tabbery Virtual Desktop Tab file
- TIB (.tib) – Acronis True Image backup
- uha – Ultra High Archive Compression
- VIV – Archive format used to compress data for several video games, including Need For Speed: High Stakes.
- VOL – unknown archive
- VSA – Altiris Virtual Software Archive
- WAX – Wavexpress – A ZIP alternative optimized for packages containing video, allowing multiple packaged files to be all-or-none delivered with near-instantaneous unpacking via NTFS file system manipulation.
- Z – Unix compress file
- zoo – based on LZW
- zip – popular compression format
Read more about this topic: List Of File Formats
Other articles related to "archive and compressed, archive, compressed":
... NRG – The proprietary optical media archive format used by Nero applications ... ADF – Amiga Disk Format, for archiving Amiga floppy disks ADZ – The GZip-compressed version of ADF ... D64 – An archive of a Commodore 64 floppy disk ...
Famous quotes containing the words compressed and/or archive:
“The human mind is so complex and things are so tangled up with each other that, to explain a blade of straw, one would have to take to pieces an entire universe.... A definition is a sack of flour compressed into a thimble.”
—Rémy De Gourmont (18581915)
“To a historian libraries are food, shelter, and even muse. They are of two kinds: the library of published material, books, pamphlets, periodicals, and the archive of unpublished papers and documents.”
—Barbara Tuchman (19121989)