Lehigh Canal

The Lehigh Canal was constructed by the Lehigh Coal & Navigation Company to carry anthracite from the upper Lehigh Valley to the urban markets of the northeast, especially Philadelphia. With the discovery of large deposits of anthracite coal, the Lehigh Coal Mine Company was formed to transport the coal down the Lehigh River to the Delaware River and on to the growing consumer markets in Philadelphia via a connection with the Pennsylvania Canal (Delaware Division) in Easton.

Read more about Lehigh Canal:  History, Historic Registry, Current Usage, Pictures

Other articles related to "lehigh, lehigh canal, canal":

National Register Of Historic Places Listings In Northampton County, Pennsylvania - Current Listings
238 West Goepp Street Bethlehem Bethlehem Steel Lehigh Plant Mill No ... Route 48007 over Frey's Run near Stouts Williams Township Carbon County Section of the Lehigh Canal 01979-08-10August 10, 1979 Along the Lehigh River Lehigh Township and Walnutport ... Lehigh River, and New St Bethlehem Extends into Lehigh County Chain Bridge 01974-02-12February 12, 1974 Southwest of Glendon on Hugh Moore Parkway across the Lehigh ...
National Canal Museum - Hugh Moore Park
... Park is a City of Easton park nestled between the Lehigh River, and the Lehigh Canal ... It covers 520 acres (2.1 km2), including part of the Lehigh river and section 8 of the Lehigh Canal ... an industrial park, built due to the large amount of anthracite coal being brought down the Lehigh Canal from present day Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania The park was purchased by the City of ...
Lehigh Canal - Pictures
1873 Weigh lock with scales to determine tolls, 1873 The canal passing through Bethlehem, 1907 Remains of Lock 25, 2006 Image of Gate entrance of Lock 28 Stacked rock detail of lock ...

Famous quotes containing the word canal:

    My impression about the Panama Canal is that the great revolution it is going to introduce in the trade of the world is in the trade between the east and the west coast of the United States.
    William Howard Taft (1857–1930)