The Legislative Districts of Samar, namely the first and second districts, are the representations of the Province of Samar in the Philippine House of Representatives. The former province of Samar was divided into three legislative districts from 1907 until 1965.
Its division into three different provinces was only approved in a plebiscite held together with the general elections on November 19, 1965 as mandated by Act No. 4221, which meant that voters still elected representatives under the old district configuration. After the ratification of RA 4221 the representatives of the second and third districts automatically served as the representatives of the lone districts of Western Samar and Eastern Samar, respectively, while the representative of the first district only served until 1967, when special elections were held to determine the new representative for Northern Samar. In 1969 Western Samar was renamed, and it is just this portion of the original undivided province that now assumes the title Samar.
Samar was part of the representation of Region VIII from 1978 to 1984, and from 1984 to 1986 it elected 2 assemblymen at-large. In 1986 it was redistricted into two legislative districts.
Famous quotes containing the words legislative and/or districts:
“Let reverence for the laws, be breathed by every American mother, to the lisping babe, that prattles on her laplet it be taught in schools, in seminaries, and in colleges;Mlet it be written in Primers, spelling books, and in Almanacs;Mlet it be preached from the pulpit, proclaimed in legislative halls, and enforced in courts of justice.”
—Abraham Lincoln (18091865)
“Cities need old buildings so badly it is probably impossible for vigorous streets and districts to grow without them.... for really new ideas of any kindno matter how ultimately profitable or otherwise successful some of them might prove to bethere is no leeway for such chancy trial, error and experimentation in the high-overhead economy of new construction. Old ideas can sometimes use new buildings. New ideas must use old buildings.”
—Jane Jacobs (b. 1916)