Lawshall - Facilities - Public House

Public House

The Swan Inn is an eighteenth century timber-framed and plastered building, previously with an L-shaped plan with a front extension at right angles to the road. This front extension was demolished in 1968 when the building was renovated. The roof is thatched with three dormers.

There are coins nailed to the underside of the timber beams in the public bar. It was the custom of soldiers during the Great War to nail up coins in this way and to reclaim them upon their return. Alas many of the coins were not reclaimed reflecting the loss of 24 men from the village.

In the nineteenth century there were seven public houses or beer retailers in the parish. In more recent times four pubs have closed in the village namely:

  • Carpenters Arms - Donkey Lane
  • Green Man - Folly Lane
  • Harrow - Harrow Green
  • King William - Bury Road

Read more about this topic:  Lawshall, Facilities

Other articles related to "public house, house, houses, public houses":

A148 Road - Route - Fakenham To Cromer
... On the right just past the junction is the Green Man Public House ... The A148 swings northeast up an incline over a crossroads and past the Crawfish public house on the left which serves Thai food ... the centre of the village is the Kings Head Public House which is a fine example of a Georgian Building ...
Stag And Hounds Public House
... The Stag and Hounds Public House is on Old Market Street, Old Market, Bristol ... It was built originally in 1483, probably as a private house ... is predominantly from the early 18th century, when it was a Public house and it has been partly rebuilt in the 1960s, and refurbished in 1987 ...
Lea Valley Walk - Route - Stage 3 Broxbourne - Lea Bridge Road
... The Crown public house is located adjacent to towpath ... On the opposite bank there are a number of riverside houses.Over a small bridge under which flows the Broxbourne Mill stream ... On the A121 road bridge stands the Old English Gentlemen public house ( closed May 2008 ) ...
History - Modern Stevenage
... in 1952 – The Twin Foxes pub was Stevenage's first "new" public house and is still situated in the Bedwell estate ... The public house was named after local notorious identical twin poachers (Albert Ebenezer and Ebenezer Albert Fox) ... At least three other public houses are worth mentioning, for they have a direct relationship to local history the name of the pub "Edward the Confessor" (closed 2006) could have a connection to the time in ...

Famous quotes containing the words house and/or public:

    When I first got here, every time you’d say “breast feeding” on the House floor there would be a snicker.... this has been happening since creation. Can we finally get a grip on it?
    Susan Molinari (b. 1958)

    Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
    Samuel Butler (1835–1902)