La Orotava

La Orotava is a municipality of Spain, located on the north coast of Tenerife, within the Orotava Valley. It is located 5 km E of Puerto de la Cruz, about 33 km SSW of the island's capital, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, west of the Tenerife North Airport. The population is 41,406 (ISTAC, 2011), its density is 201.18/km² and the area is 207.31 km². The municipality's area is the largest in the entire island of Tenerife. The altitude of the main population centre is 390 m, but the one of the municipality area goes from the sea level of the Atlantic to the 3,718 m of the summit of Teide volcano (Canary Islands' and Spain's highest point), inside the area of the municipality, making La Orotava the highest municipality of Spain and any land born of the Atlantic Ocean.

La Orotava is linked with the TF5 Motorway and the old highway linking Icod de los Vinos and the capital (Santa Cruz de Tenerife). Farmlands are in the valley areas and within the Atlantic, urban areas covers much of the area and the mountain and the hills are to the south. Its climate is vegetation.

The coat of arms or La Orotava was adopted by Alfonso XIII in 1906, the dragoons escorting the drago and the tree of golden apples refers to the mythology of the Garden of Hesperides, believed was located in La Orotava. In gastronomy, La Orotava was honored for the Denominación de Origen Valle de La Orotava or the Denomination of the Origin of the Orotava Valley (Valle de La Orotava) in wines.

Read more about La Orotava:  Toponymy, History, Economy, Subdivisions, Historical Population, Sites of Interest, Photos, Persons, In Literature

Other articles related to "la, la orotava, orotava":

Santa Úrsula - See Also
... Northwest Atlantic Ocean North Atlantic Ocean Northeast La Victoria de Acentejo West La Orotava Santa Úrsula East Arafo South La Orotava and Arafo Southeast Arafo Municipalities of Tenerife Adeje Arafo Arico Arona ...
Puerto De La Cruz, Santa Cruz De Tenerife - History
... It existed in 1502 as a coastal port, and as the dependent population center of La Orotava ... It belonged to the municipality of La Orotava, and in 1772, a municipal corporation was elected by the residents ... It was known as Puerto de La Orotava, and it was not until 1808 that it obtained full municipal autonomy, changing its name to the current Puerto de la Cruz ...
La Orotava - In Literature
... completing his novel Mr Norris Changes Trains in La Orotava in the summer of 1934 in chapter 10 of his autobiography Christopher and His Kind ... She stayed at a place called Orotava it's lovely, I believe — do you think you'd enjoy it?" ...
Puerto De La Cruz - History
... It existed in 1502 as a coastal port, and as the dependent population center of La Orotava ... It belonged to the municipality of La Orotava, and in 1772, a municipal corporation was elected by the residents ... It was known as Puerto de La Orotava, and it was not until 1808 that it obtained full municipal autonomy, changing its name to the current Puerto de la Cruz ...