Articles and Reviews in Journals
SCOTTISH GAELIC STUDIES.
- 1935 Vol. IV p. 18. Some notes on the poems of Alexander MacDonald. CH2/1/5/6
- ------------p. 24. The Lost Songs of the forty-Five.
- ------------p. 70,153. Gaelic MS LXIII of the National Library.
- 1942 Vol.V .p. 76 An Early Scottish Gaelic Vocabulary. [this is found as Appendix n.11 in W. Nicolson's "Scottish Historical Library". It turned to be a translation of part of John Ray's Dictionariolum Trilingue.
- 1949 Vol.VI p. 27. Some Words from the Vocabulary of Alexander MacDonald. CH2/1/5/16 1947--------p. 43. The Second Edition of Alexander MacDonald's Poems CH2/1/5/16
- -------p. 212. Hiatus in Hebridean Place-Names of Norse origin.
- 1953 Vol. VII p. 196. Lexicographical Notes.
- 1961 Vol. IX p. 39. The Royal Irish Academy Text of "Birlinn Chlann Raghnaill" CH2/1/5/16.
- -------- p. 89. Varia: Scottish Gaelic Translations of John Ray's Dictionariolum Trilingue.
- The beginning of Mac Vurich's Panegyrick on the MacLeans.
- Bibliographical Note on 'Gearan Brathar'
- 1965 Vol. X p. 178 Gaelic Proverbs from the Isle of Barra, collected by the late Neil Sinclair CH2/1/5/17.
- -------- p. 209. Varia; a Confusion of References in the Second Edition of Alexander MacBain's Etymological Gaelic Dictionary.
- Other references in MacBain's Dictionary
- A dating error in Máire MacNeill's Lughnasa.
- The Chimeric Folktale in the Lowlands.
- Gaelic Numerals recorded in Wafer's Account of Darien.
- Gaelic in Jamaica in 1768.
- ------- p. 235. Review of Annie M. MacKenzie's edition of Orain Iain Luim, Songs of John MacDonald, Bard of Keppoch.
- ------- p . Review of 'More West Highland Tales' Vol.2
- 1968 Vol. XI p. 171. Notes on the Poems ascribe to Mary MacLeod in D.C. MacPherson's Duanaire.
- ------ p. 262. Review of Cathaldus Giblin OFM 'The Irish Franciscan Mission to Scotland, 1619–1646'.
- 1971 Vol. XII p. 59. The Expurgating of MacMhaighstir Alasdair .
- 1976------ p. 290 Review of Vol. VI of Carmina Gadelica, edited by Angus Matheson.
- ------- p. 300 Review of William Matheson's edition of the Gaelic poems of the Blind Harper, An Clarsair Dall. * ------ p. 304 Review of Mario M. Rossi's edition and Italian translation of the original text of Kirk's 'Secret Commonwealth', Il Capellano delle Fate. .
- 1978 Vol. XIII p. 1 Notes on Hamish Robertson's Studies in Carmichael's Carmina Gadelica.
- ------ p. 183. Carmina Gadelica George Henderson's Corrections and Suggestions. Review of the Gaelic writings of the Rev. Dr. Kenneth Macleod.
CONTRIBUTION TO THE SCOTTISH HISTORICAL REVIEW.
- 1954 Vol. XXXIII p. 175. The Norse Language in Orkney in 1725 also: 1959Vol. XXXVIII p. 70. Review of the Scottish Highlands a Short History, by W.R. Kermack.
CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE INNES REVIEW
- 1953 Vol. IV p. 42. Some Notes and Comments on "The Irish Franciscan Mission to Scotland by Rev. Cathaldus Giblin OFM. 1953------ p. 110. The Letter sent by Iain Muideartach, twelfth Chief of Clanranald, to Pope Urban VIII, in 1626..
- 1954 Vol. V p. 33. The MacNeils of Barra and the Irish Franciscans.
- 1956 Vol. VII p. 101. The Sources of the Gaelic Hymnal, 1893 .
- 1966 Vol. XVII p. 82. The MacNeils of Barra in the Forty-five .
- 1989Vol. XL p. 72 Blairs College in 1883, by Mgr. Canon W. MacMaster.
CONTRIBUTIONS TO SCOTTISH STUDIES
- 1958 Vol. 2, p.175. The Late Fr. Allan McDonald, Miss Goodrich Freer, and Hebridean Folklore. [The original exposure of Ada Goodrich Freer's plagiarization of Fr. Allan McDonald's folklore collection, developed later into JLC's part of Strange Things, see n.10
- 1966 Vol. 10, p. 193. Angus MacLellan MBE .
CONTRIBUTION TO AMERICAN SPEECH
- 1936 Vol. XI p. 128. Scottish Gaelic in Canada.
CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE JOURNAL OF CELTIC STUDIES
- 1953 Vol. II p. 134. Some Errors in the Names of Animals in Gaelic Dictionaries. 1958------ p. 214. Some Errors in Professor Hume Brown's Edition of Donald Munro's Description of the Western Islands.
CONTRIBUTIONS TO CELTICA
- 1960 Vol. V p. 218. The Tour of Edward Lhuyd in Ireland.
- 1976 Vol. XI p. 34. Unpublished Letters by Edward Lhuyd in the National Library of Scotland.
CONTRIBUTIONS TO EIGSE
- 1939 Vol. I p. 309. Note on the Hebridean version of the song Cailin o Chois tsiuire me
- 1940 Vol. II p. 44. Note on the Gaelic word Cuilbheir.
- 1952Vol. VI p. 146. An Account of some Irish Harpers, as given by Echlin O'Kean, Harper, Anno 1779.
- 1956 Vol. VIII p. 87. Some Notes on Scottish Gaelic Waulking Songs. ------ p. 261. The Text of Carmina Gadelica.
- 1958 Vol. IX p. 57. Notes on Alexander MacDonald's 'Oran a' Gheamhraidh'. ------ p. 129. More Notes on Scottish Gaelic Waulking Songs. ------ p. 165. Note on the word ucaire
- 1961 Vol. X p. 176. Note on Hebridean eisdeacht Alexander MacDonal's oran a' Gheamhraidh.
CARMINA GADELICA 1983 REPRINT
- 1982 Vol.I. Introduction.
CONTRIBUTION TO LOCHLANN
- 1972 Vol. V. Angus MacLellan: Saoghal an Treobhaiche, The Autobiography of a Hebridean Crofter. [Lochlann appeared as supplementary volumes to the Norsk Tidsskrift for Sprogvidenskap. The Norwegian Journal of Linguistics. Saoghal an Treobhaiche occupied the whole of vol. V of Lochlann. See ns.6 and 12 here.
CONTRIBUTIONS TO ETUDES CELTIQUES
- 1954 Vol. VI p. 216. Obituary, Jonathan MacKinnon. See nrs. 17 and 20.
CONTRIBUTIONS TO AN GAIDHEAL
- 1835 Catalogue of the 1776 Eigg Collection of Gaelic poetry, published by Ranald MacDonald.
- Catalogue of the Turner Collection of Gaelic poetry, published by Peter Turner, 1813.
- Remarks in the Margin of MS XL of the National Library of Scotland's Gaelic MSS. .
- . The Dimensions of an Harp. From Gaelic MS LXV of the National Library of Scotland.
- 1951 Vol. XLVI p. 43. Alexander MacDonald's 'Oganaich uir a' Chuil Teudaich'. Full text of song of which only five couplets were previously known, from truncated version in MS LXIII of the National Library of Scotland; to the complete version, containing 41 couplets, was found by JLC in the Carmichael papers in Edinburgh University Library. Later published with translation in Vol. III of Hebridean Folksongs, p. 132.
CONTRIBUTIONS TO GAIRM
- 1952-3 Vol. 1, pt. 1, 51; pt. 2, 71; 3, 65; 4, 31; Vol. II, 37. Leabhar-Latha Mhgr. Ailein
- Vol. 2, p. 71. A' Chaileag Mheallta. True story recorded from Murdo MacKinnon,Isle of Barra, on 5/1/1950.
- ----- p. 271. Dunnchadh Ciobair an Ceann Bharraidh, True story recorded from Neil MacNeil, Barra on 7/4/1951
- 1954 Vol. 3, p. 58. Catriana Nighean Eachainn. True story recorded from Peigi MacRae on 23 May 1951. Translation later published in the Scots Magazine, October 1955.
- 1957 Vol. 5, p. 313. An doigh air an rachadh taigh dubh a thogail. Air innse le Dunnchadh Domhnallach.
- Vol. 3, p. 360. Mgr. Ailean anns a' Cholaiste.
- 1956 Vol. 4 p. 56. Boidse chon nam Faero. JLC's account of a visit to the Faeroes in May 1955.
- 1957 Vol. 6 p. 37. Eideard Lhuyd agus Archaeologia Britannica.
- 1958 Vol. 7 p. 157. Cogadh nan Trosg. [JLC's account of the Cod War with Iceland, sympathetic to Icelandic fishery limits at sea, which it was claimed should apply around the Hebrides.
- --------- p. 369 Litir bho Dhomhnall MacCarmaig d'a Charaid Calum. A Letter from Donald MacCormick to his friend Calum. Discovered by JLC in Donald MacCormick's papers. D.M. is also mentioned in N.8.
- 1960 Vol.8 p. 314. A' Chiad uair a dh'fhag mi Uibhist Air innse le Bean Nill.
- 1963 Vol. 11 p. 313 Anna Nic Iain. Obituary of Miss Annie Johnston in Gaelic by JLC.
CONTRIBUTIONS TO TOCHER
- 1974 No.13 p. 162. Annie and Calum Johnston; an appreciation by JLC. were personal friends and helpers of JLC and well known to folklorists who had anything to do with Barra from Mrs Kennedy Fraser onwards. See Nos. 11 and 22 here]
CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE AMERICAN NEW CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA
- 1967 Articles on: Gaelic Literature
- 1967 Alexander MacDonald
- 1967 Fr. Allan McDonald
- 1967 Dr. Calum MacLean
CONTRIBUTIONS TO "OUTLOOK"
Outlook was a monthly magazine published at Edinburgh from April 1936 to January 1937, edited by David MacEwen and J.H. Whyte. JLC contributed four of Deonaidh Caimbeul's Gaelic stories which later appeared in SIA SGIALACHDAN, several articles and reviews.
- 1937 Jan: p. 105.Leum Iain Oig ann am Miu'alaidh, Young John's Leap on Mingulay, a story sent to JLC by Donald MacPhee.
CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE COMPANION OF GAELIC STUDIES, Edited by Derick S. Thomson.
- 1938 Articles on: Ada Goodrich Freer, Annie Johnston, Calum Johnston, Edward Lhuyd, Donald MacCormick, Fr. Allan McDonald, D.C. MacPherson
CONTRIBUTION OF THE SECOND EDITION OF THEODOR RESEBERY "MICROBES AND MORALS"
- 1975 English translation of Alexander MacDonald's poem "TINNEAS NA H URCHAID"
CYMMRODORION SOCIETY TRANSACTIONS
- 1962 P. 77, The contributions of Edward Lhuyd to the Study of Scottish Gaelic
- 1933 January 30. Scottish Gaelic in Canada. [This included a summary of the returns to an attempted census of Gaelic speakers in Cape Breton and Antigonish Country, Nova Scotia, and eastern Prince Edwaard Island, based on a questionnaire sent by JLC to Clergymen of various denominations. In 1949, 1950 and 1951 JLC wrote articles in the Scotsman urging the interest of the Gaelic oral tradition and the creation of a Scottish Folklore Commission for the purpose of recording it comprehensively in time.
THE SCOTS MAGAZINE
- 1935 October. Alexander MacDonald Portrait of a Traditionalist. 1937The First Printed Gaelic Vocabulary. "Galick and English Vocabulary" prepared for the SPCK and published in 1741. Quoting SPCK Minutes at length.
- 1938 Sept., Oct. A Visit to Cape Breton.
- 1944 Sept., Obituary of Roderick MacKinnon, traditional Barra singer.
- 1952 Oct., Obituary of Seonaidh Caimbeul, Uist Gaelic bard.
- 1953 Oct., Highland Links with Nova Scotia.
- 1954 Obituary of Duncan MacDonald, S.U. Gaelic Storyteller.
- 1955 Catriana daughter of Hector
- 1958 Mrs Kennedy Fraser and Songs of the Hebrides.
- 1968 John Duncan, Amy Murray, Evelyn Benedict, their visits to Fr. Allan McDonald on Eriskay. [See also no.27. JLC has other articles and letters published in the Scots Magazine.
THE CAPUCCIN ANNUAL
- 1964 The Catholic Isles of Scotland. The Catholic Church in the Hebrides 1560–1760
- REVIEWS Between 1935 and 1974, inclusive, JLC reviewed 53 books on the Highlands and Islands, their history and their folklore, for the Times Literary Supplement. Of these reviews, the following may be mentioned here:
- 7/1/36 Hugh MacDiarmid's translation of Alexander MacDonald's "Birlinn of Clanranad".
- 6/5/55 F. Fraser Darling, " West Highland Survey"
- 24 April 1959 Calum MacLean, "The Highlands"
- 27 May 1955 Ronald Svensson, "Lonely Isles"
- 14 January 1965 F. Fraser Darling and Morton Boyd, "The Highlands and Islands"
- 14 October 1965 T. Steel, "The Life and Death of St. Kilda"
- 24 September 1964 Rev. J. MacKechnie, ed. "The Dewar MSS" vol.1.
Apart from these, JLC has at times reviewed books for An Gaidheal, the Free Man, the Modern Scot, the New Alliance, the Oban Times, Outlook, the Scotsman, the Stornoway Gazette, and the Tablet, as well as writing articles on such subjects for them. Reviews written by JLC for Scottish Gaelic Studies are included in the list under that heading.
Famous quotes containing the words journals, articles and/or reviews:
“Reality has become so absorbing that the streets, the television, and the journals have confiscated the public interest and people are no longer thirsty for culture on a higher level.”
—Andre Plesu (b. 1948)
“There are several natural phenomena which I shall have to have explained to me before I can keep on going as a resident member of the human race. One is the metamorphosis which hats and suits undergo exactly one week after their purchase, whereby they are changed from smart, intensely becoming articles of apparel into something children use when they want to dress up like daddy.”
—Robert Benchley (18891945)
“Why do I do this every Sunday? Even the book reviews seem to be the same as last weeks. Different bookssame reviews.”
—John Osborne (19291994)