Inge is a common given (personal) name in most Germanic language-speaking cultures, but primarily a surname (family name) in English-speaking ones.
In most of Scandinavia the name is primarily given to boys, while in Denmark and in Dutch- and German-speaking countries it is given to girls. It is derived from Ing, an alternative name for the norse god Freyr.
In the legendary prehistory of the Germanic peoples Ing was one of the three sons of Mannus and the ancestor of the Ingaevones. Since the Ingaevones form the bulk of the Anglo-Saxon settlement in Britain, they were speculated by Noah Webster to have given England its name.
As a given name its pronunciation typically consists of two syllables with the stress falling on the initial one, while as a surname it is usually pronounced in England to rhyme with "ring." Alternatively (especially in the USA) some families pronounce it to rhyme with "hinge."
Some related names are Inga, Ingar, Yngve, Inger, Ingrid, Ingeborg, Ingram, Ingvild and Ingunn.
A number of famous people are named Inge:
- Scandinavian royalty
- Inge I of Norway (d. 1161)
- Inge II of Norway (d. 1217)
- Inge I of Sweden (d. ca. 1100)
- Inge II of Sweden (12th century)
- Inge Lehmann (d. 1993), Danish seismologist
- Inge Krokann (d. 1962), Norwegian writer
- Kjell Inge Røkke (b. 1958), Norwegian businessman
- Stig Inge Bjørnebye (b. 1969), Norwegian soccer player
- as a surname
- Field Marshal Peter Anthony Inge (b. 1935), British soldier; Baron Inge, KG, GCB, PC, DL, former Chief of the UK Defence Staff
- Brandon Inge (b.1977), American athlete (baseball), Detroit Tigers Third Baseman (1998-2012)
- M. Thomas Inge (b. 20th c.), American author
- The William Inge (disambiguation) page distinguishes several people known by that name, including the 20th. c. American playwright
Other articles related to "inge":
... Summer Brave is a play by William Inge, a revision of his Pulitzer Prize-winning 1953 play Picnic ... Of it, Inge said, "A couple of years after Picnic had closed on Broadway, after the film version had made its success, I got the early version out of my files and began to rework it, just for my own satisfaction ... Broadway production was staged two years after Inge's death ...
... Sven Inge was born Sven Inge Höglund ... as an artist, he was best known as Sven Inge hence in 2006, he registered his middle name Inge as his new surname ...
... Sven Inge (born Sven Inge Höglund, later Sven Inge Demonér 1995–2006) (February 22, 1935 – November 20, 2008) was a Swedish painter and pop artist who came to some prominence in the late 1960s, doing ... Sven Inge was born in Umeå in 1935 and grew up in a small village in Västerbotten in northern Sweden ... In 1972, Inge created the photographic work Glesbygdare, and in 1973 Kronotorpare ...
... between Christians and pagans was a conflict between Blot-Sweyn and Inge the Elder in the 1080s ... The reigning king Inge decided to end the traditional pagan sacrifices at Uppsala which caused a public counter-reaction ... Inge was forced into exile, and his brother-in-law Blot-Sweyn was elected king on condition that he allow the sacrifices to continue ...