The experience and knowledge accumulated through classification work enables IRS to provide technical advisory and supervisory services for ship owners. IRS surveyors who are seconded in to the owners for such services operate independently. Though distinct from classification services these services are nonetheless in harmony with them. The aim of IRS is to provide independent technical support and impartial cost effective advice to owners. Owners get value for money, coupled with highest standards of quality during construction, conversion or refit. IRS specification services have been used extensively by various ship owners including national administrations, port authorities, oil companies etc. Specification services are provided for pre-contract as well as post-contract stages.
Pre-contract services include:
- Advice for preparation of inquiry documents for tendering
- Appraisal of tender bids from shipbuilders
- Power estimation
- Fuel consumption, endurance and capacities for consumables
- Trim and stability calculations
- General layout and space concepts
- Cargo capacities and handling arrangements
- Selection of propulsion and auxiliary machinery
- Advice for painting and corrosion protection scheme.
Famous quotes containing the word services:
“Those services which the community will most readily pay for, it is most disagreeable to render.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)