HMS Adventure (M23)
HMS Adventure, pennant number M23, was a minelaying cruiser of the Royal Navy built in the 1920s that saw service during the Second World War. Her commander between 1928 and 1929 was the future First Sea Lord John H. D. Cunningham.
Laid down at Devonport in November 1922 and launched in June 1924, Adventure was the first vessel built for service as a minelayer, she was also the first warship to use diesel engines, being used for cruising.
On entering the service she joined the Atlantic Fleet. From 1931-1932, she underwent a refit. During this refit she received a rounded stern in place of the original square one.
In the early months of the Second World War, she was damaged in the Thames Estuary and was repaired at Sheerness.
In 1940, she laid minefields in the Orkney Islands and St. George's Channel and in 1941 was damaged by a mine while off Liverpool.
In 1944, she was converted to a landing craft repair and accommodation ship; in 1945 was reduced to reserve; and in 1947 was sold to T W Ward Ltd. and broken up at Briton Ferry.
Adventure was adopted by the City of Plymouth.
Other articles related to "adventure":
... Adventurewas badly damaged, most probably by a German magnetic mine in the Thames estuary at 0526 on the morning of 13 November 1939 ...
Famous quotes containing the word adventure:
“In the court of the movie Owner, none criticized, none doubted. And none dared speak of art. In the Owners mind art was a synonym for bankruptcy.... The movie Owners are the only troupe in the history of entertainment that has never been seduced by the adventure of the entertainment world.”
—Ben Hecht (18931964)