Hinksey

Hinksey is a place name associated with Oxford and Oxfordshire. In 1974 it was transferred from Berkshire.

The place name is of Old English origin. It is first mentioned in the 10th century in the form Hengestesige, and probably means "stallion island". It may also mean "island of a man named Hengest", but there is no evidence to link the place to the historical Hengest. Place names ending in “-ey” (“island”, commonly used of higher ground in a marshy area) are of early formation, probably names bestowed by the first English farmers who tackled the area.

There are two villages, North Hinksey to the west of the city of Oxford and South Hinksey to the south-west. There is also a suburb called New Hinksey to the south of the city centre, which contains the city council ward Hinksey Park. Hinksey Stream runs past the west of Oxford, a branch of the River Thames. Hinksey Hill Farm lies on Hinksey Hill, close to South Hinksey.

Other articles related to "hinksey":

South Hinksey - See Also
... Hinksey Hinksey Stream New Hinksey North Hinksey. ...
Hinksey Stream - Boundary
... Downstream of North Hinksey the boundary between Berkshire and Oxfordshire was Hogacre Stream (or Hogacre Ditch), a branch of Bulstake Stream which runs parallel to Hinksey Stream and joins it ... Between 1889 (when Grandpont and New Hinksey were absorbed into Oxfordshire) and 1974, Hinksey Stream was the boundary south of its confluence with Hogacre Stream ...
Abingdon Rural District - Civil Parishes
... Tubney CPs) Garford Kennington (from 1936 formed from parts of South Hinksey and Radley) Kingston Bagpuize (until 1971 formed part of Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor CP) Kingston Bagpuize with ...
North Hinksey
... North Hinksey is a village and civil parish in Oxfordshire, England, immediately west of Oxford ... North Hinksey was part of Berkshire until the 1974 boundary changes transferred it to Oxfordshire ... The village of North Hinksey has a manor house, The Fishes public house, a Church of England primary school and a Church of England parish church of ...