Hillcroft School was a boys' secondary school in South London. In 1960, it was established in Tooting Bec, being built on playing fields of, and adjacent to, the premises of Bec School. The initial complement of pupils were drawn from Hillbrook Secondary School in Hillbrook Road, Tooting, and Estreham Secondary School in Penwortham Road, Streatham (housed in the same building as Penwortham Primary School). Hillbrook and Estreham then closed.
The school closed when it was amalgamated with Bec School in 1970 to create Bec-Hillcroft Comprehensive School. Bec-Hillcroft was renamed Ernest Bevin School, after the former Labour minister Ernest Bevin, in the next year. In 1996, the school was renamed to Ernest Bevin College.
Read more about Hillcroft School: History
Other articles related to "hillcroft school, school":
... Following its establishment, Hillcroft School enjoyed a substantial amount of academic success and supported a large sixth form, especially during the years of 1966 through 1970 ... The school had a substantial prefect system which was considered helpful in advancing pupils' maturity ... The school was organised into four houses, each of about 250 boys Churchill, Faraday, Shaftesbury, and Wellington ...
Famous quotes containing the word school:
“When we were at school we were taught to sing the songs of the Europeans. How many of us were taught the songs of the Wanyamwezi or of the Wahehe? Many of us have learnt to dance the rumba, or the cha cha, to rock and roll and to twist and even to dance the waltz and foxtrot. But how many of us can dance, or have even heard of the gombe sugu, the mangala, nyangumumi, kiduo, or lele mama?”
—Julius K. Nyerere (b. 1922)