A highway patrol is either a police unit created primarily for the purpose of overseeing and enforcing traffic safety compliance on roads and highways, or a detail within an existing local or regional police agency that is primarily concerned with such duties.
Duties of highway patrols or traffic police may include the following:
- Accident investigation: Gathering evidence to determine the cause of a roadway accident.
- Commercial vehicle enforcement: Enforcing highway laws related to commercial transport, including weight limits and hazardous materials rules.
- Education: Providing public information, handouts, and displays to encourage safe driving and usage of the roads.
- Emergency response: Securing the scene of a traffic accident by using cones and flares as well as providing first aid to the injured.
- Law enforcement: Assisting local police in rural areas, and keeping an eye out for non-traffic violations.
- Maintenance: Observing and reporting damage to the roadways, and conducting hasty road surveys after disasters or the passage of inclement weather.
- Traffic enforcement: Enforcing laws and regulations intended to improve traffic safety, such as speed limits.
Read more about Highway Patrol: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Czech Republic, France, Finland, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, Pakistan, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States
Other articles related to "traffic, police, traffic police":
... Rankings Traffic Rank Year List of airports by passenger traffic 2010 ... List of airports by traffic movements 2010 ... List of airports by cargo ...
... a system of hardware, software, and operators that allow better monitoring and control of traffic in order to optimize traffic flow ... has not been keeping pace, this has led to ever-increasing traffic congestion ... As a cost-effective solution toward optimizing traffic, ITS presents a number of technologies to reduce congestion by monitoring traffic flows through ...
... Traffic was rerouted on to the Dubuque-Wisconsin Bridge a few miles to the north ... inspected the bridge and determined that it was safe for traffic ... By 230pm they had reopened the bridge to traffic ...
... Country Police Medical Fire Notes Afghanistan 119 ... Rewards for Justice 010-8600-070 Bangladesh 999 For the cities of Dhaka and Chittagong only Bahrain 999 Cambodia 117 East Timor 112 China 110 ... India 100 102, 1298, 108, 101 ... Chennai Traffic Police 103 ... Delhi Traffic Police 1095 ...
... by the great disparity between daytime and nighttime traffic fatalities the U.S ... National Highway Traffic Safety Administration states that nearly half of all traffic-related fatalities occur in the dark, despite only 25% of traffic travelling during darkness ...
Famous quotes containing the words police and/or traffic:
“There was never a man born so wise or good, but one or more companions came into the world with him, who delight in his faculty, and report it. I cannot see without awe, that no man thinks alone and no man acts alone, but the divine assessors who came up with him into life,now under one disguise, now under another,like a police in citizens clothes, walk with him, step for step, through all kingdoms of time.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)
“Theres something about the dead silence of an office building at night. Not quite real. The traffic down below is something that didnt have anything to do with me.”
—John Paxton (19111985)