High Bridge (Appomattox River)
High Bridge is a historic former railroad bridge across the Appomattox River valley about 6 miles (9.7 km) east, or downstream, of the town of Farmville in Prince Edward County, Virginia. The bridge was originally integral to the Southside Railroad between Petersburg and Lynchburg.
As the site of the Battle of High Bridge in April 1865, the bridge played a pivotal role in Lee's retreat in the final days of the American Civil War – and ultimately the war's outcome.
Rebuilt after the Civil War to its former dimensions, the 21-span structure was 2,400 feet (730 m) long at a maximum height of 160 feet (49 m) above the Appomattox River Valley – though is currently unusable for traffic. By 2005, its owner, Norfolk and Southern, had abandoned the corridor, subsequently gifting 33 miles of the line to the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR). Update: High Bridge opened to the public on April 6, 2012 on the 147the anaversary of the Battle of High Bridge. All 31 miles of High Bridge State Park are open to hiking, biking and horse back riding.
The remains of the bridge and its adjacent rail line are currently under development as a rail trail park, High Bridge Trail State Park – with 16 miles of completed trail on either side of the former bridge.
... Partially due to the highcost of maintaining the HighBridge over the Appomattox Rivervalley,Norfolk Southern downgraded and eventually abandoned the line through Farmville in favor of ... The low-grade line,completed in 1916,contained more favorable grades for westbound trains ... route until persuaded by the citizens of Farmville,Virginia to bring the line through their town ...
Famous quotes containing the words bridge and/or high:
“A circle swoop, and a quick parabola under the bridge arches
Where light pushes through;
A sudden turning upon itself of a thing in the air.
A dip to the water.”
—D.H. (David Herbert)
“She gave high counsels. It was the privilege of certain boys to have this immeasurably high standard indicated to their childhood; a blessing which nothing else in education could supply.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)