During the Spanish-American War and the following few years, major construction took place to upgrade the defense capabilities of the three forts defending the major ports along the Delaware River. Construction took place at Forts Mott, Delaware, and DuPont, in the form of Endicott Era batteries that mounted long-range rifles, mortars, and rapid-fire guns. These emplacements, although completed after the war, included Batteries Read and Gibson (8- and 12-inch rifled guns), Batteries Rodney and Best (16-inch mortars), and Batteries Elder and Ritchie (3- and 5-inch rapid-fire guns respectively). On July 22, 1899, Army General Orders, No. 134, official designated "the battery at Delaware City" as Fort DuPont, named in honor of Rear Adm. Samuel Francis Du Pont. During this time, according to the Fort DuPont Flashes, the post was garrisoned by members of the 4th U.S. Artillery under the command of Maj. Van Arsdale Andruss.
Read more about this topic: Fort Du Pont
Other articles related to "war":
... However, in April 1898 the Spanish-American War broke out, and Indiana was requisitioned by the U.S ... Later in the war, she served as a hospital ship, returning wounded troops from Manila, Philippines via Honolulu to San Francisco ...
... In 1898, Coulter's Regiment was ordered to active duty in the Spanish-American War ... Coulter was promoted to Colonel of the 10th Regiment in 1907 and commanded the regiment on the U.S ...
... credited (or blamed) for drawing the nation into the Spanish-American War with sensationalist stories or outright lying ... Hearst to tell him all was quiet in Cuba and "There will be no war." Hearst responded "Please remain ... You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." The story (a version of which appears in the Hearst-inspired Orson Welles' film Citizen Kane) first appeared in the memoirs of reporter James Creelman in 1901, and ...
Famous quotes related to spanish-american war:
“The last time we used battleships was in the Spanish-American War. And what did we get out of that? Cuba. And we gave that back.”
—Robert Riskin (18971955)