Fitzroy Gardens

The Fitzroy Gardens are 26 hectares (64 acres) located on the southeastern edge of the Melbourne Central Business District in East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. The gardens are bounded by Clarendon Street, Albert Street, Lansdowne Street, and Wellington Parade with the Treasury Gardens across Lansdowne street to the west.

The gardens are one of the major Victorian era landscaped gardens in Australia and add to Melbourne's claim to being the garden city of Australia. Set within the gardens are:

  • an ornamental lake
  • kiosk and cafe
  • Conservatory
  • Cooks' Cottage - a house where James Cook reputedly spent some years of his childhood (the cottage was in England at that time).
  • Sinclair’s Cottage (Visitor information)
  • Model Tudor village
  • Fountains and sculptures
  • Band Pavilion
  • the Rotunda
  • the fairy tree

Read more about Fitzroy GardensHorticulture, Heritage Listing, Wildlife, History

Other articles related to "fitzroy gardens, gardens, fitzroy":

Fitzroy Gardens - History
... 1848 the Fitzroy Gardens were permanently reserved as public gardens, with title shared by the State Government and City of Melbourne ... The gardens were known as Fitzroy Square until 1862, named after Sir Charles Augustus FitzRoy, a governor of New South Wales. 1860 responsibility for Fitzroy Gardens taken over by the Lands Department ...
Treasury Gardens
... The Treasury Gardens consist of 5.8 hectares (14.4 acres) on the south-eastern side of the Melbourne Central Business District, East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia ... The gardens are bounded by Wellington Parade, Spring Street, Treasury Place, and by the Fitzroy Gardens across Lansdowne street to the west ... They form part of a network of city gardens including Fitzroy Gardens, Carlton Gardens, Flagstaff Gardens and Kings Domain ...

Famous quotes containing the word gardens:

    the men
    Leaving the gardens tidy,
    The thousands of marriages
    Lasting a little while longer:
    Never such innocence again.
    Philip Larkin (1922–1985)