For export purposes each item is classified with the Export Control Classification Number (ECCN) with the help of the Commerce Control List (CCL, Supplement No. 1 to the EAR part 774). In particular :
- 5A002 Systems, equipment, electronic assemblies, and integrated circuits for "information security. Reasons for Control: NS1, AT1.
- 5A992 "Mass market" encryption commodities and other equipment not controlled by 5A002. Reason for Control: AT1.
- 5B002 Equipment for development or production of items classified as 5A002, 5B002, 5D002 or 5E002. Reasons for Control: NS1, AT1.
- 5D002 Encryption software. Reasons for control: NS1, AT1.
- used to develop, produce, or use items classified as 5A002, 5B002, 5D002
- supporting technology controlled by 5E002
- modeling the functions of equipment controlled by 5A002 or 5B002
- used to certify software controlled by 5D002
- 5D992 Encryption software not controlled by 5D002. Reasons for control: AT1.
- 5E002 Technology for the development, production or use of equipment controlled by 5A002 or 5B002 or software controlled by 5D002. Reasons for control: NS1, AT1.
- 5E992 Technology for the 5x992 items. Reasons for control: AT1.
An item can be either self-classified, or a classification ("review") requested from the BIS. A BIS review is required for typical items to get the 5A992 or 5D992 classification.
Other articles related to "classification, classifications":
... is not determined, instead the TAS classification (Total-Alkali-Silica) is used ... Therefore, provisional or field classifications (Figures 3 and 4) are used, which are simplified versions of Figures 1 and 2 ... This classification is used if rock sample has phaneritic texture (plutonic rocks) Figure 2 ...
... The Anatomical Therapeutic Chemical (ATC) Classification System is used for the classification of drugs ...
... For more details on this topic, see List of pterosaur classifications ... Classification of pterosaurs has historically been difficult, because there were many gaps in the fossil record ...
... In 2004, analysis of the Bayesian classification problem has shown that there are some theoretical reasons for the apparently unreasonable efficacy of naive Bayes classifiers ... Still, a comprehensive comparison with other classification methods in 2006 showed that Bayes classification is outperformed by more current approaches, such as boosted trees or random ... data to estimate the parameters (means and variances of the variables) necessary for classification ...
... There is a variable star classification scheme that encompasses existing stars that are classified in the spectra classification ...