Experiential gifts also known as gift experiences and experience gifts, pioneered in the UK in the 1990s, now represent one of the faster growing segments of the $253 billion a year gift industry. As opposed to material gifts, they allow the recipient to have an experience, such as skydiving, kayaking, race car driving or touring a vineyard.
Experiential gifts tend to fall into the following groups:
- Adventure - skydiving, kayaking, whitewater rafting, hang gliding
- Driving - rallying, NASCAR, V8 supercars, classic cars
- Gourmet - wine tasting, cigar tasting, gourmet cooking lessons, tasting menu experiences
- Environmentally friendly - Segway city tours, whale watching
- Rejuvenate - spa treatments, pilates, stone massages
- Travel - weekend getaways, golfing breaks, etc
- Music - karaoke singing
Other articles related to "experiential gifts, experiential gift":
... As of 2009, the experiential gift market is an established, highly competitive multi-million dollar market in the United Kingdom and in Australia and an emerging category in the U.S.A ... in November 2005 by American Express found that experiential gift giving was on the rise (30% of those surveyed planned on giving experiential gifts that year versus 23% the prior ... The survey also found that experiential gifts were particularly popular among consumers aged 18–44 ...