- Production of aluminium, lithium, sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium
- Coulometric techniques can be used to determine the amount of matter transformed during electrolysis by measuring the amount of electricity required to perform the electrolysis
- Production of chlorine and sodium hydroxide
- Production of sodium chlorate and potassium chlorate
- Production of perfluorinated organic compounds such as trifluoroacetic acid
- Production of electrolytic copper as a cathode, from refined copper of lower purity as an anode.
Electrolysis has many other uses:
- Electrometallurgy is the process of reduction of metals from metallic compounds to obtain the pure form of metal using electrolysis. For example, sodium hydroxide in its molten form is separated by electrolysis into sodium and oxygen, both of which have important chemical uses. (Water is produced at the same time.)
- Anodization is an electrolytic process that makes the surface of metals resistant to corrosion. For example, ships are saved from being corroded by oxygen in the water by this process. The process is also used to decorate surfaces.
- A battery works by the reverse process to electrolysis.
- Production of oxygen for spacecraft and nuclear submarines.
- Electroplating is used in layering metals to fortify them. Electroplating is used in many industries for functional or decorative purposes, as in vehicle bodies and nickel coins.
- Production of hydrogen for fuel, using a cheap source of electrical energy.
- Electrolytic Etching of metal surfaces like tools or knives with a permanent mark or logo.
Electrolysis is also used in the cleaning and preservation of old artifacts. Because the process separates the non-metallic particles from the metallic ones, it is very useful for cleaning old coins and even larger objects.
Read more about this topic: Electrolysis
Other articles related to "industrial, industrial uses":
... The Industrial Design Excellence Awards is a program sponsored by BusinessWeek and the Industrial Designers Society of America ("IDSA") ... Return to Industrial Design Excellence Awards ...
... trading IO Interactive International Ombudsman Institute IOI Group, IOI Corporation, industrial gas manufacturing in Malaysia, property development (Marriott Putrajaya Hotel and Palm Garden Hotel in ...
... Generally speaking, studying the effectiveness of such inhibitors has been done using destructive methods ... These studies require placing specimens to accelerated corrosion and measuring the degree of corrosion ...
... Many printers now offer twin print heads ... However, these are used to manufacture single (sets of) parts in multiple colors/materials ...
... The Industrial Design Excellence Awards is a program sponsored by BusinessWeek and the Industrial Designers Society of America ("IDSA") ...
Famous quotes containing the word industrial:
“Nearly all the Escapists in the long past have managed their own budget and their social relations so unsuccessfully that I wouldnt want them for my landlords, or my bankers, or my neighbors. They were valuable, like powerful stimulants, only when they were left out of the social and industrial routine.”
—Willa Cather (18761947)
“Literary works cannot be taken over like factories, or literary forms of expression like industrial methods. Realist writing, of which history offers many widely varying examples, is likewise conditioned by the question of how, when and for what class it is made use of.”
—Bertolt Brecht (18981956)