In 1919, the college moved to its current location in the Wollaston Park area of Quincy, Massachusetts. The founders wanted the new college to be located near either Harvard or Yale, for its graduates to attend graduate school at one or the other; Quincy won out over New Haven, Connecticut because the educational standards were known to be higher in Massachusetts and because president-elect Fred J. Shields would only accept the position if the college were to be located near Boston. At the time of its purchase, the 12-acre (49,000 m2) property consisted of the Josiah Quincy Mansion (1848), built by Josiah Quincy, Jr. where Angell Hall now stands, a classroom building called the Manchester (1896), the stables (1848) on the site where Memorial Hall was built in 1948, and the Canterbury (1901), which is now Canterbury Hall. From the captain's walk of the mansion, Wollaston Bay was clearly visible down to the "ships entering and leaving the port of Boston." The former Rhode Island campus was purchased in 1920 by William S. Holland, who moved his Watchman Institute there in 1923.
|J. E. L. Moore||1918–1919|
|1.||Frederick James Shields||1919–1923|
|2.||Floyd William Nease||1923–1930|
|3.||Robert Wayne Gardner||1930–1936|
|4.||Gideon Brooks Williamson||1936–1944|
|6.||Edward Stebbins Mann||1948–1970|
|7.||A. Leslie Parrott, Jr.||1970–1975|
|9.||Stephen Wesley Nease||1980–1989|
|10.||Cecil Roland Paul||1989–1992|
|11.||Kent R. Hill||1992–2001|
|Albert L. Truesdale, Jr.||2001–2002|
|12.||J. David McClung||2002–2005|
|13.||Corlis A. McGee||2005-|
The trustees of the college were incorporated by the state in 1920, by which time its liberal arts identity had been "quite firmly established," but it took another decade to gain bachelor of arts degree-granting power from the commonwealth. President Floyd W. Nease appealed directly to the General Court of Massachusetts, and defended his petition before the Joint Committee on Education and the House and Senate on January 28, 1930, calling on financial records, campus improvement plans, and prominent community leaders; the bill passed in both houses and was signed by Governor Frank G. Allen on March 12, 1930. The news reached the college the following afternoon. The next year under President R. Wayne Gardner, the trustees made a statement reaffirming that the college would remain "distinctly interdenominational and cosmopolitan in service."
The college seal, designed by alumnus Harold G. Gardner and symbolically incorporating the college motto, Via, Veritas, Vita, was adopted by the trustees on the recommendation of the president and the student body in 1932, along with a college banner to display the emblems of Verbum, Lux, Spiritus, Crux. The college had been chartered in 1918 with a school of music, President Gardner secured certification for the college as a teacher-training institution with the Massachusetts Department of Education in 1933, and the college would institute a graduate program in theology starting in 1938, thus becoming one of only two Nazarene schools to offer anything beyond a bachelor of arts before 1945. Evolutionary biology was taught in the classroom at least as early as 1937, and on May 8, 1941, Governor Leverett Saltonstall approved Eastern Nazarene to grant bachelor of science degrees. ENC also had a cooperative degree program in engineering with Northeastern University by 1943.
Under President Gideon B. Williamson on December 3, 1943, the Eastern Nazarene College gained accreditation from the New England Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools, and became the second Nazarene college to ever gain institutional accreditation. ENC was also admitted to the Association of American Colleges in 1944, and an affiliation with Quincy City Hospital for nurses' training began in that same year. Eastern Nazarene was soon dubbed "Our Quincy's College" by the Quincy Patriot Ledger and has since maintained good town and gown relations with the city. The Eastern Nazarene Academy would close after 1955, and starting in 1956, professors Timothy L. Smith and Charles W. Akers began to establish a community college for the city of Quincy. In 1964, the graduate course in theology was discontinued and replaced with a master's degree program in religion. The college archives were created in 1963 and the first history of the college, spanning from 1900 to 1950, was published by James R. Cameron in 1968.
Under President Irwin in 1977, there arose plans to relocate the college to a 125-acre (510,000 m2) parcel of land in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, by purchasing the faltering Charles E. Ellis School for Girls. The proposed move was very unpopular among students and members of the Quincy community, even Governor Michael Dukakis urged to administration to reconsider, but the relocation never took place because the college was outbid for the land by a corporation that wanted to establish an industrial park there. In 1981, graduate degree offerings were expanded, and an accelerated program for working adults was started in 1990. In 1991, a report issued by the Association of Independent Colleges and Universities in Massachusetts (AICUM) determined that the college contributed nearly $10 million to the local economy and brought in an estimated $7 million from outside the state. In 1992, President Kent Hill approved a policy to only hire Christian professors at the college, a move that initially stirred some controversy in the media but was meant for the hiring of new faculty rather than the dismissal of then-current faculty, and was deemed by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) to be reasonable according to civil rights laws. A second history of the college, spanning from 1950 to 2000, was started in 1993.
In 1995, the college tried relocating once more, this time by purchasing the former 56-acre (230,000 m2) campus of the Boston School for the Deaf in Randolph, Massachusetts from the Sisters of St. Joseph, but the deal fell through despite support from the town selectmen. Instead, the college began to expand at other locations in Quincy, buying a piece of land along Hancock Street later that year, and the year after that purchasing an adjoining parcel along Old Colony Avenue, which had once been home to a Howard Johnson's candy factory and executive offices. In 1997, the college extended beyond the metro Boston area for the first time when it started a learning annex in central Massachusetts to serve as part of its adult studies division. The Old Colony Campus (OCC), as the new site on Old Colony Avenue had come to be named, was renovated and expanded into the Adams Executive Center. The Cecil R. Paul Center for Business was founded at the Old Colony location in 1999, and the James R. Cameron Center for History, Law, & Government was added in 2005. In 2001, just before the end of his second term, then-president Kent R. Hill was appointed the new Global Health Administrator for USAID. In 2008, ENC established satellite campuses in Boston, Brockton, Fall River, and Swansea, Massachusetts. In 2010, Eastern Nazarene College was ranked in the top tier for northern U.S. regional colleges in U.S. News & World Report's Best Colleges report. It was also ranked 28th overall (specifically 25th in number of graduates going on to earn PhDs and 11th in number of alumni serving in the Peace Corps, relative to college size) by the Washington Monthly College Guide for baccalaureate colleges nationally in 2010.
Other articles related to "massachusetts":
... to Hartford Connecticut Route 159 from Hartford to Springfield, Massachusetts U.S ... Route 20 from Springfield to Warren, Massachusetts (via Route 67) Massachusetts Route 9 from Warren through Worcester to Shrewsbury and U.S ...
... Several years prior, the Boston Globe reported J.S ... Waterman's Sons, also owned by SCI, was found by the Board to have accidentally cremated the body of a stillborn infant ...
... dormitory, Cambridge Lowell Devils, hockey team, Lowell Lowell High School (Lowell, Massachusetts), high school, Lowell The Sun (Lowell), newspaper, Lowell, Mass University of ...
... Massachusetts Route 3 passes through the town twice, across the southern portion of the town and another short portion near the west of the town ...
... In April 1938, the towns of Dana, Massachusetts, Enfield, Massachusetts, Greenwich, Massachusetts, and Prescott, Massachusetts were depopulated to make way for the Quabbin Reservoir ...