- Joseph Agassi - Israeli philosopher and proponent of democracy
- Michael Apple - Social scientist, democratic education scholar, University of Wisconsin–Madison
- Pierre Bourdieu - Anthropologist, social theorist, College de France
- Émile Durkheim - Sociologist, functionalist education theorist
- George Dennison - American writer, author
- John Dewey - Social scientist, progressive education theorist, University of Chicago
- Michel Foucault - Post-modern philosopher, University of California, Berkeley
- Peter Gray - Psychologist, democratic education scholar, Boston College
- Amy Gutmann - Political scientist, democratic education scholar, President of the University of Pennsylvania
- Daniel A. Greenberg - One of the founders of the Sudbury Valley School.
- John Holt - Critic of conventional education and proponent of home-schooling
- Homer Lane - Democratic education pioneer, founder of the Ford Republic (1907–12) and the Little Commonwealth (1913–17)
- A.S. Neill - Democratic education pioneer, founder of the Summerhill School
- Claus Offe - Political Scientist, theorist of deliberative democratic culture, Hertie School of Governance
- Karl Popper - Philosopher at the London School of Economics
- Bertrand Russell - Philosopher, author of "On Education" and founder of Beacon House School
Read more about this topic: Democratic Education
Other articles related to "scholars, scholar":
... In time, the religious scholars turned against him, and he was often branded as a heretic ... was taken all around India and was signed by some two hundred religious scholars ... Some years later, a prominent Muslim leader and scholar, Ahmed Raza Khan, was to travel to the Hejaz to collect the opinions of the religious scholars of Makkah and Madina ...
... In recent years, according to some scholars, there has been a "worrying trend" of "reopening" of the issue of slavery by some conservative Salafi Islamic scholars after its "closing" earlier in the 20th century ... will remain as long there is Islam.” He attacked Muslim scholars who said otherwise maintaining, “They are ignorant, not scholars.. ...
... The Victoria Scholars Men's Choral Ensemble is an amateur choir based in Toronto, Ontario, Canada ... The namesake of the Victoria Scholars, Tomás Luis de Victoria, was an outstanding composer of the Renaissance period whose music is renowned for both its spirituality and emotional expressiveness ... The essence of the Scholars’ music is an emphasis on the clarity and balance of sound so characteristic of Renaissance music ...
... There are several ways to categorize bylina, and scholars disagree on which classification to use ... Scholars from the mythological school differentiate between byliny about ‘older’ and ‘younger’ heroes ... Scholars of the historical school often consider mythological byliny separately ...
... Scholars need a good knowledge of several languages Akkadian and its major dialects and Sumerian, aided by such languages as Biblical Hebrew, Hittite, Elamite and Aramaic ... Although scholars can draw from a large corpus of literature, some tablets are broken, or in the case of literary texts where there may be many copies, the language and grammar are arcane ... Moreover, scholars must be able to read and understand modern English, French, and German, as important references, dictionaries, and journals are published in those languages ...
Famous quotes containing the word scholars:
“Scholars and artists thrown together are often annoyed at the puzzle of where they differ. Both work from knowledge; but I suspect they differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by. Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets theirs cavalierly and as it happens in and out of books. They stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.”
—Robert Frost (18741963)
“You are the majorityin number and intelligence; therefore you are the forcewhich is justice. Some are scholars, others are owners; a glorious day will come when the scholars will be owners and the owners scholars. Then your power will be complete, and no man will protest against it.”
—Charles Baudelaire (18211867)
“Statistics justify and scholars seize
The salients of colonial policy.
What is that to the white child hacked in bed?
To savages, expendable as Jews?”
—Derek Walcott (b. 1930)