The CWS T-1 was the first serially-built car manufactured in Poland. A series of different cars based on the T-1 chassis designed by Tadeusz Tański (hence T-1) of the Centralne Warsztaty Samochodowe (hence CWS), it was the only motor car that could be completely dismantled and again put together with one tool; all its screws and bolts had the same diameter.
Although the car was designed in 1922, it was not until 1925 the prototype tests were completed. Between 1925 and 1932 approximately 500 CWS T-1 were manufactured in a variety of versions. Among them were:
- Torpedo (open-top)
- Kareta (Hardtop)
- Berlina (Sedan)
- Cabriolet (in fact a semi-convertible)
In 1930, the CWS works were swallowed by the Polish state-controlled industrial giant PZInż, yet the production was continued under the previous name. However, in 1932, a license for the Polski Fiat was purchased from Italy and the Italian head of the Fiat holding demanded that the sale of CWS cars be stopped. The Polish authorities obeyed and the CWS-1 was withdrawn from production.
|This Polish history-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|