Covent Garden

Covent Garden ( /ˈkɒvənt/) is a district in London on the eastern fringes of the West End, between St. Martin's Lane and Drury Lane. It is associated with the former fruit and vegetable market in the central square, now a popular shopping and tourist site, and the Royal Opera House, which is also known as "Covent Garden". The district is divided by the main thoroughfare of Long Acre, north of which is given over to independent shops centred on Neal's Yard and Seven Dials, while the south contains the central square with its street performers and most of the elegant buildings, theatres and entertainment facilities, including the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, and the London Transport Museum.

Though mainly fields until the 16th century, the area was briefly settled when it became the heart of the Anglo-Saxon trading town of Lundenwic. After the town was abandoned, part of the area was walled off by 1200 for use as arable land and orchards by Westminster Abbey, and was referred to as "the garden of the Abbey and Convent". The land, now called "the Covent Garden", was seized by Henry VIII, and granted to the Earls of Bedford in 1552. The 4th Earl commissioned Inigo Jones to build some fine houses to attract wealthy tenants. Jones designed the Italianate arcaded square along with the church of St Paul's. The design of the square was new to London, and had a significant influence on modern town planning, acting as the prototype for the laying-out of new estates as London grew. A small open-air fruit and vegetable market had developed on the south side of the fashionable square by 1654. Gradually, both the market and the surrounding area fell into disrepute, as taverns, theatres, coffee-houses and brothels opened up; the gentry moved away, and rakes, wits and playwrights moved in. By the 18th century it had become a well-known red-light district, attracting notable prostitutes. An Act of Parliament was drawn up to control the area, and Charles Fowler's neo-classical building was erected in 1830 to cover and help organise the market. The area declined as a pleasure-ground as the market grew and further buildings were added: the Floral Hall, Charter Market, and in 1904 the Jubilee Market. By the end of the 1960s traffic congestion was causing problems, and in 1974 the market relocated to the New Covent Garden Market about three miles (5 km) south-west at Nine Elms. The central building re-opened as a shopping centre in 1980, and is now a tourist location containing cafes, pubs, small shops, and a craft market called the Apple Market, along with another market held in the Jubilee Hall.

Covent Garden, with the postcode WC2, falls within the London boroughs of Westminster and Camden, and the parliamentary constituencies of Cities of London and Westminster and Holborn and St Pancras. The area has been served by the Piccadilly line at Covent Garden tube station since 1907; the journey from Leicester Square, at 300 yards, is the shortest in London.

Read more about Covent Garden:  Geography, Economy, Culture, Transport

Other articles related to "covent garden":

Murray Dickie - Early Career 1947-1955
... He joined the new resident company at Covent Garden when it was first formed after the War, from 1948 to 1952 ... the role of Curé in the Arthur Bliss opera The Olympians at Covent Garden ... revival of The Bohemian Girl he sang David at Covent Garden under Beecham (parts of which were recorded live) and that year also appeared in Der Rosenkavalier and ...
Covent Garden - Transport
... Covent Garden is served by the Piccadilly line at Covent Garden tube station on the corner of Long Acre and James Street ... While there is only one bus route in Covent Garden itself—the RV1, which uses Catherine Street as a terminus, just to the east of Covent Garden square—there ...
List Of Districts In Westminster
... districts in the London Borough of Westminster Bayswater Belgravia Covent Garden Fitzrovia Holborn Hyde Park Knightsbridge Lisson Grove Maida Vale Mayfair Marylebone Millbank Paddington ...
Susan Bullock - Life and Career
... assumption of Elektra in a production at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden ... She had made her Covent Garden debut previously as Marie in Berg's Wozzeck ... been engaged to sing Brunnhilde in all performances of Der Ring des Nibelungen at Covent Garden in the London Olympic Year cycles announced for Autumn 2012 ...

Famous quotes containing the word garden:

    Or of the garden where we first mislaid
    Simplicity of wish and will, forgetting
    Out of what cognate splendor all things came
    To take their scattering names;
    Richard Wilbur (b. 1921)