Imagine that Tennessee is having an election on the location of its capital. The population of Tennessee is concentrated around its four major cities, which are spread throughout the state. For this example, suppose that the entire electorate lives in these four cities and that everyone wants to live as near to the capital as possible.
The candidates for the capital are:
- Memphis, the state's largest city, with 42% of the voters, but located far from the other cities
- Nashville, with 26% of the voters, near the center of the state
- Knoxville, with 17% of the voters
- Chattanooga, with 15% of the voters
The preferences of the voters would be divided like this:
|42% of voters
||26% of voters
||15% of voters
||17% of voters
Assuming all of the voters vote sincerely (strategic voting is discussed below), the results would be as follows, by percentage:
|City||Round 1||Round 2|
- In the first round, no candidate has an absolute majority of first place votes (51).
- Memphis, having the most last place votes (26+15+17=58), is therefore eliminated.
- In the second round, Memphis is out of the running, and so must be factored out. Memphis was ranked first on Group A's ballots, so the second choice of Group A, Nashville, gets an additional 42 first place votes, giving it an absolute majority of first place votes (68 versus 15+17=32) thus making it the winner. Note that the last place votes are disregarded in the final round.
Read more about this topic: Coombs' Method
Other articles related to "an example, an":
... Imagine a shop that is part of a chain of shops ... It has no computer systems ...
... Let X=2πM12 so that X generates a rotation around the z-axis by an angle of 2π ... first case, one can speculate that a rotation of an angle 2π will turn a bispinor into minus itself, and that it requires a 4π rotation to rotate a bispinor back into itself ... that the identity in SO(31)+ is mapped to -I in GL(U) with an unfortunate choice of X ...
... evidence of Kurnaz had ties to terrorism that he should be held as an enemy combatant ... Shortly before his tribunal an unsigned memo had been added to his file concluding he was an al Qaeda member ...
Famous quotes containing the word example:
“Our intellect is not the most subtle, the most powerful, the most appropriate, instrument for revealing the truth. It is life that, little by little, example by example, permits us to see that what is most important to our heart, or to our mind, is learned not by reasoning but through other agencies. Then it is that the intellect, observing their superiority, abdicates its control to them upon reasoned grounds and agrees to become their collaborator and lackey.”
—Marcel Proust (18711922)