Christ Church Greyfriars

Christ Church Greyfriars, also known as Christ Church Newgate Street, was a church in Newgate Street, opposite St Paul's Cathedral in the City of London. Established as a monastic church in the thirteenth century, it became a parish church after the dissolution of the monastery. Following its destruction in the Great Fire of London of 1666, it was rebuilt to the designs of Sir Christopher Wren. Except for the tower, the church was largely destroyed by bombing during the Second World War. The ruins are now a public garden.

Read more about Christ Church Greyfriars:  Burials

Other articles related to "christ church greyfriars, church":

Postman's Park After The Death of Mary Watts
... The nave of Christ Church Greyfriars was destroyed by bombing on 29 December 1940 ... the congregation to less than 80, and the parishes of St Leonard, Foster Lane and Christ Church Greyfriars were merged with nearby St Sepulchre-without-New ... World War, the remains of the nave of Christ Church Greyfriars became a public memorial in 1989 the tower is now office space ...
Veil - Religion - Christianity
... Tabernacle veil Used to cover the church tabernacle, particularly in the Roman Catholic tradition but in some others as well, when the Eucharist is actually stored in it ... metal vessel with a cover, used in the Roman Catholic Church and some others to hold the consecrated hosts of the Eucharist when, for instance, it is stored in the tabernacle or when ... In the early liturgies, there was often a veil that separated the sanctuary from the rest of the church (again, based upon the biblical description of the Tabernacle) ...

Famous quotes containing the words christ and/or church:

    O singers, resinous and soft your songs
    Above the sacred whisper of the pines,
    Give virgin lips to cornfield concubines,
    Bring dreams of Christ to dusky cane-lipped throngs.
    Jean Toomer (1894–1967)

    This is what the Church is said to want, not party men, but sensible, temperate, sober, well-judging persons, to guide it through the channel of no-meaning, between the Scylla and Charybdis of Aye and No.
    Cardinal John Henry Newman (1801–1890)