Cathedral Of Mary Our Queen
The Cathedral is the seat of the Archbishop of Baltimore, presently Archbishop William Lori, who succeeded Cardinal Edwin F. O'Brien, who had been named Grand Master of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem by Pope Benedict XVI. Reverend Monsignor J. Bruce Jarboe is Rector. The Cathedral is located in the Homeland area of northern Baltimore City and near Loyola University Maryland and St. Mary's Seminary and University, the first Catholic seminary created in the United States. It was built using funds bequeathed by an Irish Baltimore merchant, Thomas O'Neill.
In October 1954, ground was broken for the new Cathedral of Mary Our Queen. On the morning of October 13, 1959, a few days past the fifth anniversary of the groundbreaking ceremony, the Cathedral was consecrated by Bishop Jerome Sebastian. The architecture is late period Art Deco, built of brick faced with limestone, and uses a classical east-facing cruciform floor plan (see cathedral diagram). According to the data of Archdiocese of Baltimore the cathedral is astounding in its size. Built to seat 1,900 people, the cathedral is 373 feet (114 m) long, 132 feet (40 m) wide and 163 feet (50 m) to the top of the two spires.
The Archdiocese of Baltimore is the Primatial see. The crypt under the main floor of the cathedral is reserved for the deceased archbishops and auxiliary bishops of Baltimore. There are six bishops buried in the crypt: Cardinal Lawrence Shehan, Archbishop Francis Patrick Keough, Bishop Jerome Sebastian, Bishop T. Austin Murphy, Bishop P. Francis Murphy, and Archbishop William Donald Borders.
A cellphone antenna is concealed within the tower, generating revenue for the diocese.
The co-cathedral is the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, on Cathedral Street at Mulberry Street, in downtown Baltimore. The Basilica reopened in November 2006 after a 32-month restoration.
His Holiness Pope John Paul II visited both the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen and the Basilica in 1995 and in 1976 as Cardinal Karol Wojtyla. A plaque outside the Blessed Sacrament Chapel (the north transept) commemorates the 1995 visit.
Read more about Cathedral Of Mary Our Queen: Organs
Other articles related to "cathedral of mary our queen, cathedral":
... The cathedral is notable for having two organs ... damage due to water and smoke it was decided that the cathedral organs would be restored ... On Sunday, November 12, the Cathedral used the restored organs ...
Famous quotes containing the words queen and/or cathedral:
“Queen Jane was in labor
Six weeks and some more;
The women grew wearied,
And the midwife gave oer.”
—Unknown. The Death of Queen Jane (l. 14)
“... and met
At numerous cathedral cities
Unknown to the clergy.”
—Philip Larkin (19221986)