Camp Adair was a United States Army division training facility established north of Corvallis, Oregon, operating from 1942 to 1946. Part of the site is now contained within the E. E. Wilson Wildlife Area operated by the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW), with other parts of Camp Adair becoming the city of Adair Village.
... Camp Adair was named for Henry Rodney Adair, who was a native of Astoria, Oregon and a member of a prominent Oregon pioneer family ... was built during 1942–1943 as a World War II division training and cantonment camp, and had temporary quarters for 2,133 officers and 37,081 enlisted personnel ... Although the site was dedicated as "Camp Adair" on September 4, 1943, it had been occupied by troops before that date ...
Famous quotes containing the word camp:
“Some of the taverns on this road, which were particularly dirty, were plainly in a transition state from the camp to the house.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)