Brookwood Hospital at Woking in Surrey, was established in 1867 by Surrey Quarter Sessions as the second County Asylum, the first being Springfield Asylum in Tooting. A third asylum followed in 1882 at Cane Hill in Coulsdon in the eastern part of the county.
Designed by architect Charles Henry Howell, the principal asylum architect in England and architect to the Lunacy Commissioners and Surrey County Surveyor from 1860–1893, the 'Brookwood Asylum', as it was originally known, was renamed 'Brookwood Hospital' in 1919.
From its opening on 17 June, 1867 until its closure in 1994, Brookwood Hospital was the leading mental hospital for the western half of Surrey, occupying a large site at Knaphill, near Brookwood. The hospital had a dairy farm, a cobbler's workshop, a large ballroom, and had its own fire brigade, gasworks and sewage farm. It employed the services of many local businesses.
During World War II the Hospital served as an emergency war hospital.
Since its closure in 1994 the land has been sold off for development for housing, and the Hospital's annexe block, which is listed, has been converted into luxury apartments. Several of the new residential roads were named after the old hospital wards. The hospital's chapel is now a Buddhist temple and the former mortuary now provides living accommodation for the temple's monks. A large two-storey building that was originally the hospital's social club has been converted and registered as a children’s day care centre and nursery.
Read more about Brookwood Hospital: Brookwood Hospital Archive
Other articles related to "brookwood hospital, hospital, brookwood":
... in Medical History grant scheme allowed a comprehensive catalogue of the historic archive of Brookwood Hospital to be made ... extensive and provides a detailed overview of the day to day running of Brookwood Hospital and of the medical care provided to its patients throughout its ... The records also show how the hospital operated as a self-contained community, employing patients with skills in cooking, cleaning and gardening, providing training workshops, a 12-acre (49,000 m2) farm ...
... One of the major employers in the area until its closure in the 1990s was Brookwood Hospital, a vast, rambling mental hospital that dated from the late Victorian era ... Built on land formerly known as Knaphill Common, the hospital started life as The Surrey Asylum and formed part of the southern boundary of Knaphill (being denoted ... Its name was changed to Brookwood Hospital in 1919 to make it easier for patients and visitors travelling by rail to Brookwood Station to locate ...
Famous quotes containing the word hospital:
“The church is a sort of hospital for mens souls, and as full of quackery as the hospital for their bodies. Those who are taken into it live like pensioners in their Retreat or Sailors Snug Harbor, where you may see a row of religious cripples sitting outside in sunny weather.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)