Brentford Ait

Brentford Ait is a long uninhabited ait (island) in the River Thames, with no buildings, on the Tideway near Brentford however administered by the London Borough of Richmond Upon Thames in England.

Brentford Ait has a gap in the middle known as Hog Hole which is apparent at higher tides. In the 18th century there was a notorious pub on Brentford Ait called the Swan or Three Swans — its trade was ended in 1796. The Swan Steps lead down to the river at the east end of the long and narrow riverside park, Waterman's Park, at the site of the crossing to this pub. The ait was planted with trees in the 1920s to screen Brentford's gasworks from the view of Kew Gardens. The ait is covered by willows and alder and is a bird sanctuary with a significant heronry. For historic reasons unknown the parish of Kew in Surrey included Brentford in its history; the London borough of Hounslow administer the neighbouring Lot's Island separated by thick, shifting mud at low tide from Brentford whereas channels on both sides of Brentford Ait are dredged.

Other articles related to "ait, brentford, brentford ait":

Lot's Ait
... Lot's Ait is an ait (island) in the River Thames ... It is on the Tideway near Brentford, in the Borough of Hounslow, London, England, and its size is approximately 51,000 square feet (4,738 m2) ... Lot's Ait is often grouped with the adjacent Brentford Ait ...