There are many potential applications of biosensors of various types. The main requirements for a biosensor approach to be valuable in terms of research and commercial applications are the identification of a target molecule, availability of a suitable biological recognition element, and the potential for disposable portable detection systems to be preferred to sensitive laboratory-based techniques in some situations. Some examples are given below:
- Glucose monitoring in diabetes patients ←historical market driver
- Other medical health related targets
- Environmental applications e.g. the detection of pesticides and river water contaminants such as heavy metal ions
- Remote sensing of airborne bacteria e.g. in counter-bioterrorist activities
- Detection of pathogens
- Determining levels of toxic substances before and after bioremediation
- Detection and determining of organophosphate
- Routine analytical measurement of folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 and pantothenic acid as an alternative to microbiological assay
- Determination of drug residues in food, such as antibiotics and growth promoters, particularly meat and honey.
- Drug discovery and evaluation of biological activity of new compounds.
- Protein engineering in biosensors
- Detection of toxic metabolites such as mycotoxins
Read more about this topic: Biosensor
Other articles related to "applications, application":
... Screen in relation to terminals), and other applications and toolkits provide related facilities ... allows the user interface (mouse, keyboard, monitor) of a running application to be switched from one location to another without stopping and restarting the application ... This can be important in some applications, such as process monitoring and control ...
... Microelectronics This application, mainly applied to silicon wafers/silicon integrated circuits is the most developed of the technologies and the most ...
... to use OpenStep code as a basis for network-wide applications running across different platforms, as opposed to using CORBA or some other system ... Unlike OpenStep, which defined an operating system that applications would run in, under PDO the libraries were compiled into the application itself, creating a stand-alone "native" application for a particular ... of a considerable amount of supporting code (Objective-C and the libraries), PDO applications were nevertheless considerably smaller than similar CORBA solutions, typically ...
... transistors to replace their vacuum tube predecessors in most applications are Small size and minimal weight, allowing the development of miniaturized electronic devices ... No warm-up period for cathode heaters required after power application ... mechanical shock and vibration, thus avoiding the problem of microphonics in audio applications ...
... The first genetically modified food product was a tomato which was transformed to delay its ripening ... Researchers in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines and Vietnam are currently working on delayed-ripening papaya in collaboration with the University of Nottingham and Zeneca ...