The Bass Rock, or simply The Bass, ( /ˈbæs/), is an island in the outer part of the Firth of Forth in the east of Scotland. It is approximately 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) offshore, and 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) north-east of North Berwick. It is a steep-sided volcanic rock, 107 metres (351 ft) at its highest point, and is home to a large colony of gannets. The rock is currently uninhabited, but historically has been settled by an early Christian hermit, and later was the site of an important castle, which was, after the Commonwealth, used as a prison. The island was in the ownership of the Lauder family for almost six centuries, and now belongs to Sir Hew Fleetwood Hamilton-Dalrymple. A lighthouse was constructed on the rock in 1902, and the remains of a chapel are located there. The Bass Rock features in numerous works of fiction, including Robert Stevenson's Catriona and The Lion is Rampant by contemporary Scottish novelist Ross Laidlaw.
Other articles related to "bass rock, bass, rock":
... An old saying has the following "Ding doun Tantallon,— Mak a brig to the Bass." This meant to do something impossible ...
... The Bass Rock, also known as "the Bass", is a distinctive island off the coast of East Lothian, Scotland ... Scottish emigrants named three islands in the United States after the Bass Rock Bass Rock (Ipswich, Essex County, Massachusetts) Bass Rock (Lynn, Essex County ...
700M east of the village center is a rocky outcrop known locally as "Bass Rock", this is a popular fishing spot as it affords access to deeper water ...
Famous quotes containing the words rock and/or bass:
“Here is no water but only rock
Rock and no water and the sandy road
The road winding above among the mountains
Which are mountains of rock without water
If there were water we should stop and drink
Amongst the rock one cannot stop or think”
—T.S. (Thomas Stearns)
“How are we to know that a Dracula is a key-pounding pianist who lifts his hands up to his face, or that a bass fiddle is the doghouse, or that shmaltz musicians are four-button suit guys and long underwear boys?”
—In New York City, U.S. public relief program (1935-1943)